Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I think I'm getting the cyno under control. I no longer have such a broad carpet of it on my sand bed. I still have a little on my LR, and a very small bit sand. I completly turn the lights off except for the moon light for about a week. I also added a second return spot for more flow. With my sump, I got rid of the bio balls I had and added 2 plain filter pads in both sides of my bubble trap. One after the skimmer, and one before the return pump.
I have also done water changes every other day, along with cleaning the filter pads. I also started to feed only once a day.

My question to prevent this from happening again is...
What is the proper lighting cycle with the white/blue/and moon lights? Do I ever turn the white and blue ones on at the same time?

If for some reason the cyno comes back when I turn the lights on, will I have to wait another week before I can use them again?

This last question is kinda off the subject...
Why would I suddenly start getting small amonia levels in my water? Now that the cyno is going away??? All my other readings were Zero.

Thanks for all the help so far!!!!

Degonese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have my lights on as follows (with timers so its the same everyday)
2:00pm actinic blues come on
4:30pm 10,000 k daylights come on
10:30pm 10,000 k daylights shut off
11:30pm actinic blues shut off
11:29pm Moon lights come on
2:30am Moon lights shut off
6 hours for day light lights.
I keep my actinic blues on while the daylights are on and keep the moon lights on for only a few hours. Keeping them on can lead to algae build up in certain spots over a period of time.
As far as your algae problem I would say use some sort of phosphate reducer but first test your waters phosphate levels. I would also do a water change every 1-3 weeks to keep nitrates down. It depends really on the skimmer and or how many trace elements you lose during the amount of time in between.

Have You Voted For AA Today?
GhostKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would say feed every other day. I feed that way and sometime even skip an extra day (this could be part of where your ammonia is coming from). How are you cleaning the pads? In SW or FW? If you are using FW, you are killing off the bacteria and that might be another source of ammonia, beside the extra rotting food. Have you tested your source water for ammonia too?
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
+1 on what roka said.
What you are looking for is a balance in your system. Lights, feeding, macro algae, fish and corals. Also, your system is trying to reach this balance with it's Ph, Alk, SG, and temp. I have reached this balance and have not had to clean my glass in over 3 months,

Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote

attack, bubble, bubbles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com