Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Attempting to Convince my Parents for an Upgrade...

So I found this great deal on Craigslist for a 90 gallon tank that comes with the stand, a canopy (and mh lights that I will sell and buy quality LEDs if I get the set) powerheads, a sump, dead rock, a digital thermometer, a wave maker, and more for $600. So my question is, if I get the tank, what should I do with my 10 gallon nano? Should I make it a quarantine tank or a coral frag holding tank? And is $600 a good deal? Here's the link: http://nh.craigslist.org/for/4063414405.html

Old 09-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

To be honest, it seems a tad on the high price. Tank + stand at the most I would pay would be $200. The rest of the equipment doesn't really add up to $400. There's no skimmer either :/

Old 09-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree that is high. I just got a 240g glass with about 250 lbs of live rock, 200lbs sand, lights, sump with skimmer and an RO system. Stand and canopy are high quality, solid wood and it came with a Lionfish and Singapore Angel. All for $800.

I sold my 75g acrylic with stand and lights for $200 just to make a fast sale. I would not pay more than $250 for that tank without a skimmer.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay cool. I'm glad I asked. There's also this one, but it also seems a tad bit overpriced: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/for/4093780919.html There's also petco's configure your own, which seems VERY expensive.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you keep looking, odds are you will find a deal. Cash talks too...if you contact someone and say you have cash in hand, but feel their price is high, then make an offer and see if they bite. Doesn't hurt to ask and usually people list higher than they will take, unless they make it crystal clear that the listed price is not negotiable.

Keep in mind that whatever it does not come with will be an expense. With my recent purchase, I knew I wanted to rework the prior owners sump system and add a refugium, but that was a minimal expense considering the other things (RO system) it came with. It was supposed to come with a chiller too (not listed on sale, but a definite verbal agreement on three occasions), but I think this guy is going to back out on that, as "its in storage and I never have time to get over and look for it". I'm still happy with the overall deal though.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea I would say keep looking/ waiting I am contemplating a deal on gl a 125 with a nice stand and canopy for $350.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com