Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2004, 05:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

AUSTRALIA....New tank and an IDEA??????

Greetings.......

I have a 44 gal tank 4 weeks old, a hand full of bio beads in a filter, 10lb of live rock two clown fish, an anomie (??), 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. All appears happy!

I was thinking of getting some 12 inch pcv pipe about 4 feet long, plugging both ends, filling it with water and running it on a pump through the tank to increase the total H2O volume.....now here is the idea.....

In the bottom have a hand full of bio beads in a 'plated off section' with only two small holes to allow little water flow and thereby creating a depleated oxygen envirnment to let the Nitrate bacteria grow in a few beads and eat the Nitrate.....what do you think????????

lg

Old 11-30-2004, 08:26 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to AA! And greetin's back atcha down under!

I'm not the one to advise on your setup to increase the water volume, but I'd wonder what 4 weeks old means. 4 weeks since cycling ended or 4 weeks setup and cycle included? Either way, it sounds like a scary thing to have an anenome so soon. Never had one myself, but my understanding is that it needs a more mature tank.

How did you cycle and how long did it take? May need some more rocks too. That may cause a mini-cycle and trouble. What kind of substrate?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was thinking of getting some 12 inch pcv pipe about 4 feet long, plugging both ends, filling it with water and running it on a pump through the tank to increase the total H2O volume.....now here is the idea.....

kinda cunfused on the idea here !

why not use a rubbermaid tub ?
Old 11-30-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
It is an interesting idea...

The bio beads are really not recommended. they are a hotbed for nitrates.

The best way to increase your volume (if this is what you want to do) is to add a sump created from a rubbermaid container under your tank.

consider getting a canister filter too. I like 'em alot and they really work wonders to keep the water quality high.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Rocket Season, bioballs aren't necissarily a hotbed for nitrates. In this example in a no light, low oxygen environment they can actually have a de-ditrifying effect. However there are several things to consider. The flow would have to be very very slow in order to accomplish the low oxygen environment. This is usually accomplished with a long (MEANING LONG) coiled narrow tubing na dslower flow. The 12" diameter pipe I am affraid would simply mimic a standing sump. So yes increasing your water volume is good, but not for detrification. I like the idea though. Depending on your media, canister filters may contribute to nitrates as well.

itsfishy, if fed via a pump from the tank through a sealed tube with the same pressure returning it will basically be a canister/fluidized filter bed. If able I do still recommend a sump system. You tank is probably a little young for your choice of livestock but dilligence may reward you. So, for just water volume it's a unique idea but for detritrifying propably not.

Still to date the best methd found is a lot of LR, water movement, water changes, and effective skimming.

HTH,
R-
Old 11-30-2004, 03:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
keep in mind, IF nitrate -> n2 is successful, you'll need a way to release the gas from the system....

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks everyone

Thanks for the input and to answer a couple of questions.....

the tank is 4 weeks old including cycling.

The tanks was cycled in 17 days using a canister filter and a product called 'easylife' and a bit of a product called 'cycle'

Ammonia went to 1 on day 2 and 0 on day 7
Nitrite went to 2 on day 5 and 0 on day 16
Nitrate went to 20 on day 7 and 10 on day 17

I have added a couple of bits of live rock since. I get little ammonia spikes here and there??????

I have remove all but a couple of the bio baals now.

the substrate is crushed coral.

I think I'm going to build a small canister flowing 1 drop per second to build nitrate eating bacteria and a larger container plumbed for increased water volume. I cant build a sump......nowhere to put it.

Any further advice welcome

Thanks

LG

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com