AUSTRALIA....New tank and an IDEA??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsfishy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings.......

I have a 44 gal tank 4 weeks old, a hand full of bio beads in a filter, 10lb of live rock two clown fish, an anomie (??), 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. All appears happy!

I was thinking of getting some 12 inch pcv pipe about 4 feet long, plugging both ends, filling it with water and running it on a pump through the tank to increase the total H2O volume.....now here is the idea.....

In the bottom have a hand full of bio beads in a 'plated off section' with only two small holes to allow little water flow and thereby creating a depleated oxygen envirnment to let the Nitrate bacteria grow in a few beads and eat the Nitrate.....what do you think????????

lg

Welcome to AA! :smilecolros: And greetin's back atcha down under!

I'm not the one to advise on your setup to increase the water volume, but I'd wonder what 4 weeks old means. 4 weeks since cycling ended or 4 weeks setup and cycle included? Either way, it sounds like a scary thing to have an anenome so soon. Never had one myself, but my understanding is that it needs a more mature tank.

How did you cycle and how long did it take? May need some more rocks too. That may cause a mini-cycle and trouble. What kind of substrate?

I was thinking of getting some 12 inch pcv pipe about 4 feet long, plugging both ends, filling it with water and running it on a pump through the tank to increase the total H2O volume.....now here is the idea.....

kinda cunfused on the idea here !

why not use a rubbermaid tub ?

It is an interesting idea...

The bio beads are really not recommended. they are a hotbed for nitrates.

The best way to increase your volume (if this is what you want to do) is to add a sump created from a rubbermaid container under your tank.

consider getting a canister filter too. I like 'em alot and they really work wonders to keep the water quality high.

Rocket Season, bioballs aren't necissarily a hotbed for nitrates. In this example in a no light, low oxygen environment they can actually have a de-ditrifying effect. However there are several things to consider. The flow would have to be very very slow in order to accomplish the low oxygen environment. This is usually accomplished with a long (MEANING LONG) coiled narrow tubing na dslower flow. The 12" diameter pipe I am affraid would simply mimic a standing sump. So yes increasing your water volume is good, but not for detrification. I like the idea though. Depending on your media, canister filters may contribute to nitrates as well.

itsfishy, if fed via a pump from the tank through a sealed tube with the same pressure returning it will basically be a canister/fluidized filter bed. If able I do still recommend a sump system. You tank is probably a little young for your choice of livestock but dilligence may reward you. So, for just water volume it's a unique idea but for detritrifying propably not.

Still to date the best methd found is a lot of LR, water movement, water changes, and effective skimming.

HTH,
R-

keep in mind, IF nitrate -> n2 is successful, you'll need a way to release the gas from the system....

thanks everyone

Thanks for the input and to answer a couple of questions.....

the tank is 4 weeks old including cycling.

The tanks was cycled in 17 days using a canister filter and a product called 'easylife' and a bit of a product called 'cycle'

Ammonia went to 1 on day 2 and 0 on day 7
Nitrite went to 2 on day 5 and 0 on day 16
Nitrate went to 20 on day 7 and 10 on day 17

I have added a couple of bits of live rock since. I get little ammonia spikes here and there??????

I have remove all but a couple of the bio baals now.

the substrate is crushed coral.

I think I'm going to build a small canister flowing 1 drop per second to build nitrate eating bacteria and a larger container plumbed for increased water volume. I cant build a sump......nowhere to put it.

Any further advice welcome

Thanks

LG

Back
Top Bottom