Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Auto Top Off Question

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at ATO's for my 30 gallon reef tank. I'm away for days at a time and don't want my wife to have to worry about adding water to the tank. First, for filling my tank during water changes, I use "Store Bought" water from my LFS. After research, I have been reading that most people aren't using salt water for the Auto Top Off supply?

Am I correct in so much as the Top Off water supply should be RO/DI water only with NO Salt Content? I'm assuming that since as water evaporates, salt remains behind and we don't want to add more to the system during top-off?

I want to set this up correctly, so any confirmation would be appreciated!

Have a great day!

MKFMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Yep, you use regular unsalted water for top offs. Only use salt water for the water changes.

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Only top off with ro water no salt or your SG will go up. I use a one or 2 gallon container for top off water just to play it safe. I haven't had one stick on but I have had the line come out of the holder and the water drip on the floor and it is easier to come home to a gallon of water than 5 on the floor.
joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't do weekly water changes so I top off with saltwater to somewhat replace the skimmate that my protein skimmer extracts from the tank (maybe one liter of SW ten days after my last water change) to replace the removed salt); but to replenish water water lost to evaporation I auto top off with RO/DI water (over a gallon a day).
Rift Lake and Reef tanks.
kay-bee19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
I had a problem with my salt magically vanishing. I was told that I could top off with distilled, but when I did and would check my salinity later on, it would no longer be around 1.025...didn't have a skimmer at the time so...where did my salt go?
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
A corner overflow for good water movement and oxygen exchange with a tight fitting glass cover the way to go never need to top off .... water change every 2 weeks just another thing less to worry about !! But u need the corner overflow for proper oxygenation of water
Smithcinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Thanks Everyone!

I do plan on using a smaller container, and with my controller, only setting it to come on a limited amount of times during the day, for a few minutes at a time. That way, even if I have the dreaded "Failure" of floats, it won't run until the container is dry and dump all that water on the floor. I also like the idea of going with a 3 gallon container.

There is so much to learn! Thanks for all the advice and input.

MKFMedic is offline   Reply With Quote

auto, auto top off

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com