Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2004, 10:58 PM   #11
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitup
A lot of what I've read on the Berlin system says that dosing iodine, strontium, etc. is highly recommended.
Completely untrue. A Berlin system is simpley a LR tank with a quality skimmer and no substrate. The chemicals added have nothing to with it's success save "quantifiable" levels. As I said though, if you have the test kits you should be fine. If not, don't dose. The main chems you are going to need are a good marine buffer, calcium (or kalk) and magnesium. The rest are more speculative than required.

Quote:
Anyway, we have a bunch of corals in our tank already, with a small handful of fish. Here's what we have so far. Sorry if these names aren't all right I'm just reading off the receipt as I don't know the technical names, etc.

Fish:

2 Tiger goby
1 Purple fire fish
1 Flame Hawk
1 Imperator angel
4 Green chromis
3 Zebra dartfish
5 cleaner shrimp
5 fire shrimp
Bunch of turbo snails, hermit crabs, etc.

Corals etc:

1 Polyp rock
2 Green star polyps
3 Mushroom rock
1 Large leather coral
1 Finger leather
1 Wessophylia
1 Bubble coral
1 Blastamussa
1 Frog spawn coral
1 Colt coral
1 Goniporra
1 Alveopora coral
1 Pagoda
1 Cynarina button coral
1 Metallic plate fungia
2 Hammer coral
1 Zenia
1 Tongue coral
1 Open brain corals
1 Bubble coral
1 Montipora
1 Fox coral

What do you think?
That's a very large bio-load for such a young tank. The softies should be fine but I hope you don't have any problems with the others. I hope you give the tank time to catch up to what's been added and wait a few months before any more additions. If all goes smoothly it sounds like you're going to have a nice tank.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-02-2004, 11:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

6 weeks is still a very new tank. I waited about 4 months to start stocking my tank with fish and coral. I had liverock,snails and hermits.

Did you add all of those fish at one? That is a huge addition in such as short period of time.

Old 07-03-2004, 12:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

No they weren't added all at once. First we added the green chromis and the dartfish, with some of the corals. About 3 weeks later we added the rest of the fish and the rest of the corals. From what I've been reading online this is quite a bit of "stuff" pretty quick, but at the same time everything is running smoothly with no problems at all. With the arrangement we have, the shop that set it up would have to replace anything that died, etc. within the first few months so I don't see why they would do it this way if it wasn't OK. Maybe there is some other important info about the tank, setup, etc. that I'm not aware of and thus not telling you LOL.

I still have a lot to learn. If you start with live sand and live rock taken from another established tank, why would you have to wait months to stock the tank?

Steve, where is the magnesium supposed to come from? I believe that only one of the supplements I'm using now has trace amounts of magnesium - is that all it needs?

I even read an article here on this site in the Articles section called The Berlin Method of Filtration that says: "The Berlin method calls for trace element supplementation as well. Specifically Strontium and Iodide. I personally supplement magnesium as well." I guess that is just one man's opinion ...

Final question, assuming my tank isn't quite ready and it IS being stocked too fast ... what are the problems I should be looking for? Or what would the result be??

Thanks for the info to everyone that has responded so far!
Old 07-03-2004, 01:53 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Final question, assuming my tank isn't quite ready and it IS being stocked too fast ... what are the problems I should be looking for? Or what would the result be??
If all of your test levels are good, and you have not added the fish lately, then you will probably be fine. If everything is not fine you will know when you test your water. Make sure that you have your own test kit. You need to test for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and you can check your PH.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am currently not testing anything myself - they are doing it when they do maintenence and water changes every 2 weeks. But of course I want to eventually start doing everything myself...

Is there a big test kit that has everything to do all the major tests, or do I just buy an individual test kit for each item I want to test from somewhere like salifert, etc.? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH ... and anything else I am adding like Strontium etc. Is there anything else I should be testing?
Old 07-03-2004, 02:51 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

You most def. need to get a test tommorrow and start testing this stuff yourself. Things can be going great and the next day everything change. If the lfs came and did the test and it was fine, what happens the next day when the ammonia or something starts rising? By the time they get back 2 weeks later, you could have already lost fish.

There will be varying ideas on what kind of test and what manufacturer to use.
I would not use the test strips. I would use a liquid test like this one that has all your major test that you need right now, in one box. Here is the link. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113074

Here is another. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113074

Also Seachem has these individual test, and seachem is a great company. Here is the link. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113074

I use the first kit, and all is good. Thanks God!

These test are easy and self explanatory. Please test for yourself! It is not hard, and you have to much money invested to let it get flushed down the drain because you were waiting on the lfs.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:57 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool thanks. And about how often should I test this stuff?

Man I have a lot to learn. With a stable tank and no new additions, etc. how could the ammonia level increase dramatically in just a few days?
Old 07-03-2004, 03:03 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I test about once a week. You'll will get varying ideas on when it should be done. You need your own test so if for example, your fish start acting crazy, or breathing rapidly. Bad water quality will stress out your fish, and if you see signs of stress, you need your own test kit to be able to determine if it is water quality that is causing the problems.

Ammonia can go up from a number of different things. For example, and a good one, Over Feeding. Also a fish could die and start to decompose and before you know it boom Ammonia spike.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:06 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool thanks for all the info, I'll order something up right away.

As far as a fish dying ... I spend at least 20 mins a day in front of the tank. If anyone dies I'll know immediately and remove them for a proper burial. =)
Old 07-03-2004, 03:08 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

20mins is that all? Just wait as soon as the addiction overcomes you, you'll be up to at least 2hrs a day. I am not addicted though!! Well I'm NOT! 8O

Tags
chemi, chemical, chemicals, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com