avg cycle time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXclownin'

Aquarium Advice Regular
I dropped a shrimp in to begin my cycle a couple of days ago and was wondering how long on average it will take to get this cycle complete. The tank is approximately 23 gallons. I know you cant rush this process and Ill start taking tests on ammonia, trites, and trates in a few more days. I was hoping this wouldnt take more than about 14-20 days. Does that sound about right?

No live rock as this is my first setup and ill be moving (and mostlikely be moving up to a larger tank) in about 3 months. I have 40lbs of Yardright sand.

-Jason

Typcially 4 weeks, up to 6 weeks. I've heard of 8 week cycles too.

Do NOT rush this. Without LR, your tank will cycle slower. I doubt Yardright is aragonite sand, so it's not going to buffer your water, so do keep an eye on alkalinity and pH.

My cycle finished up in one week. I used 2 jumbo shrimp and about 40lbs or lr

Thanks for the encouragement. Lord knows it smells bad enough. Ill be testing it tomorrow for ammonia and nitrates to see where I stand at week 1.

Actually I am redoing my cycle, I am not even going to test it until later this week (Put the shirmp in Friday)

Back
Top Bottom