[B]Can you cycle the tank freshwater then add the salt?[/B]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well to get back to the subject we have an article in our articles section on cycling. Make sure you read that infernST. Great info.

Well to get back to the subject we have an article in our articles section on cycling. Make sure you read that infernST. Great info.
I read the article and found it to be identical to freshwater fish-less cycling, couldn't one use ammonia instead of the shrimp or is the shrimp the way to go for SW? If it is can't it be done in the freshwater environment?

I read the article and found it to be identical to freshwater fish-less cycling, couldn't one use ammonia instead of the shrimp or is the shrimp the way to go for SW? If it is can't it be done in the freshwater environment?

Either method (ammonia or shrimp) will work in either application (FW or SW).

Sounds good, now i know my options when i finally figure out which 150 gallon tank to buy wide or deep. What a Dilemma. This decision i thought would be easier than it is (not to mention i got the wifeys blessing). I have a post up and will make my decision based upon the feed back, i want to do right by the tank occupants.

Thanx
InfernoST

What are you looking to keep? Reef or FOWLR? I think I've missed that thread.

Yay for wife blessings! :) I married a fellow fishaholic so I'm actually the one that has to point out that we have no more room. ;)

What are you looking to keep? Reef or FOWLR? I think I've missed that thread.

Yay for wife blessings! :) I married a fellow fishaholic so I'm actually the one that has to point out that we have no more room. ;)
I want to start of with FOWLR and maybe work my way up to a reef system. The fish i plan on getting for the tank will be reef compatible.
AMEN for blessings.:BIG:

Either method (ammonia or shrimp) will work in either application (FW or SW).
The reason I lean toward the shrimp is that you don't have to measure the amount of ammonia you will need. Nature does that and if nessasary just throw away the unused at the end.

The reason I lean toward the shrimp is that you don't have to measure the amount of ammonia you will need. Nature does that and if nessasary just throw away the unused at the end.
Its always better when mother nature does her thing, it usually turns out better in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom