baby starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganizzi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a single brittle star in my tank. He's been there for about 4 months or so.

I have started to see what look like baby starfish on my LR and in my sandbed. It's hard to tell how many, but I would guess that I have at least 3.

Including legs, they are about .5 to 1 inch in diameter. They have 5 legs attached to a central disk about the size of a pin head. The legs are white and behavior is identical to my brittle star.

I assume they are baby starfish, but don't know since I have no idea what one looks like. Assuming they are, where might they have come from? Was my brittle possibly pregnant when "she" arrived? I thought I heard that they were hermaphrodites, but I couldn't find anything definitive on how they reproduce.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas, and if I can expect them to survive under normal/good tank conditions. I can see myself getting attached to them...

Thanks

The mini brittles most likely came as hitchikers on your LR ;)

It is doubtful you will see them very often, but they are beneficial detrivores and should do well in good tank conditions.

Back
Top Bottom