Bacteria Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rakoda

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am still new in salt water aquariums
I've read many topics about this kind of bacteria that consume the ammonia
But then I thought why don't I make my own stock of this bacteria in case the ammonia level in my tank went hight

the idea is simple,
bring a small 2 gallon tank, fill it with saltwater, liverock and dead shrimp
when the dead shrimp dissolve i add another one and so on

that way I will have aquarium full of the good bacteria , if something happened to my main aquarium I just add spoon or two from this bacteria

but I thought before trying my idea, i would better ask
so what do you hink

A spoon of the bacteria? It doesn't live in the water, but in your rocks and sand. If you transferred all the live rock from your "bacteria tank" to the new tank, in theory it'd do what you say, but...

In your main tank, you'll end up with a LOT of bacteria. If something were to happen to it, the amount of bacteria from a 2g tank wouldn't do anything, in my opinion. In addition, nothing can really "happen" to your main tank's bacteria... assuming you don't dump an antibiotic in your tank or add any medication that you shouldn't. And if you did, whatever killed off the bacteria to start with would kill off the "new" ones you put in.

In theory, nothing wrong with the idea... in theory. They also sell "bacteria in a bottle" at the fish stores that basically does the same thing. But you'll find mixed opinions as to whether or not that stuff is any good also.

Not to mention I imagine your little bacteria tank would stink to high heaven.

If something happened to your DT to kill off all the bacteria, chances are placing more bacteria in there would just kill it too.

lets say I had to make full water change
now i can't put all of my fishes back in the tank, it will take long time before getting your bacteria back
but with this bacteria stock, you could just add your fishes + those bacteria and nothing is likely to happen , or am i wrong?

lets say you wanted to add a lot of fishes in short time (assuming your aquarium can suits em all)
instead of waiting weeks, just add some bacteria and add your fishes
thats all

I was saying 2 gallon aquarium because mine is 10 gallons
so I guess its more than enough

Very little of that bacteria actually resides in the water column, it is mainly in/on your substrate rock equipment.

Not a problem,
Lets say that I'll fill this tank with rocks and things that the bacteria lives on

Lets say that I'll fill this tank with rocks and things that the bacteria lives on

If you took the rock and stuff out of that tank and then put it in your main it might help. But there aren't very many situations where you would just see an ammonia spike. If it does happen you can just use this. So there is no need to set up another tank. Amquel does exactly what your talking about as well as reduces nitrites and nitrates.

if there is such great solution for ammonia problems, why every body says don't introduce many fishes to a newly established tank?
and why others say don't add many fishes to your tank at once?

if there is such great solution for ammonia problems, why every body says don't introduce many fishes to a newly established tank?
and why others say don't add many fishes to your tank at once?

People recommend adding fish slowly to your tank because the bacteria in your main tank needs time to populate and catch up to the additional bioload of a new fish being added to the system. As long as you don't add to much live stock to your tank at once you won't have a problem. In the case that you did add to much at once and saw an ammonia spike it is unlikely that your bacteria tank would be enough to make up for this anyway. Not to mention what neilanh said

Not to mention I imagine your little bacteria tank would stink to high heaven.

This would be a real issue. Adding a constant source of decaying matter to continue to feed the bacteria would cause this tank to be really stinky.

Of course, this is assuming and since you would be culturing, the correct strains of the different phases of bacteria and/or in combination thereof are identified ;)

James, I think it would be the T-Virus strain...Ok, I'm a dork!

Back
Top Bottom