Baffeled and looking for answers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpreston83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey friends,

I just had a aquarium catastrophe and I don't know where i went wrong.

To start with I had a bi-colored Royal Dotty, a blue tang, and a three spotted Damsel. +crabs + starfish

Starting two weeks ago I picked up some blue legged hermits because over time my little crabby population had dwindled. It was a new aquarium shop that I don't normally go to but it was closer to my house. About a week after that my bi-colored royal dotty got sick and died. I assumed that it was some kind parasite that rode in on the crabs. So I went to the aquarium shop that i prefer and they advised me to get a cleaner shrimp and raise the water temp that i had from 74 to 78.

I dropped my shrimp in the tank that he was very popular right away. Everything appeared to be fine. The fish were eating and swimming with more energy.

Just about 15 minutes ago I went to check on them and they we dead. Not struggling or gasping but D-E-A-D. :(

Sorry for the Novel but does anyone know WTH happened?

Regards

Did you cycle the tank?

What are your tank readings for:

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
PH
Temp

Nitrates and Nitrites are all with in limits. I don't have a tester for Ammonia but it shouldn't be out of control if the nitrates are fine. Temp is 78. PH i don't have a reading on but i keep it in check with a stabilizer weekly. I think the water is fine since the Invertebrates aren't dropping dead.

Did you cycle the tank?

If not, maybe the ammonia is now at the point where it is killing everything.

Cycle the tank? Do you mean change the water? The tank has been running for about 6 months so it's not a new setup.

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

Really need to get an ammonia test and post the results (for nitrite/nitrate as well.)

Also you never really mentioned what actually died.

<snip>
I dropped my shrimp in the tank that he was very popular right away. Everything appeared to be fine. The fish were eating and swimming with more energy.

Just about 15 minutes ago I went to check on them and they we dead. Not struggling or gasping but D-E-A-D. :sad:
<snip>

Also, why do you assume your dotty died from a parasite? Unless you dumped the LFS water in there, a parasite would not have likely rode in on the crabs. Did you see spots? What were the symptoms before it died?

First thing anybody on here is going to ask is for water parameters, and by that I mean numbers.

Current levels:
NO2 levels are at .02 mg/L
NO3 levels are at 5-10 mg/L
I can't give the Ammonia levels but if NO2 and NO3 are in the good range, which they are I can't see NO4 being way out of wack.

Sorry I wasn't more specific the fish are the ones that kicked the bucket. The Tang and the Damsel.

The Dotty's symptoms were first lack of movement, he wouldn't come out of his hole to except to eat. Then he stopped eating. Erratic swimming then death. I didn't see any spots, but I've read that some times they get internal parasites. The whole time i was monitoring the water levels and they were good.

The Tang was rubbing herself against the rocks so i assumed she must have gotten Ick, which is why I got the cleaner shrimp. The Damsel showed no symptoms at all, he just dropped dead.

hope this clears things up.

Yeah that makes more sense after you explained the symptoms.

I've heard velvet can kill a tank pretty quick but I think you would notice that.

Can't really think of anything else, but probably someone on here will.

Sorry for your loss.

nm i found out thanks. It sounds like that is my culprit probly hitched a ride in the crab water, killed the Dotty and then got the other two.

Back
Top Bottom