Bak Pak 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2Salt

Aquarium Advice Freak
we just got a Bak Pak 2R last Wednesday and all excited we hooked it up, having problems with bubbles. Ever since then we are having problems with bubbles or micro bubbles coming out of the bak pak no matter what setting we put it at. We have tried adjusting the waste cup, with the same results, still getting air bubbles. We've also tried with and without the sponge, but still get the same results. Currently we have the bak pak just running as a pump, and we still see an occasional bubbles. What are we doing wrong?

We have a 29 gallon that is still in the cycling stage, 20 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand. We had ten pounds of live rock but added more that was supposed to be cured but it then sent the ammonia back up and zeroed out the nitrate, when the ammonia was at 0. Kind of disappointed was hoping the cured rock would have pushed things a little faster, live and learn.

Look forward to any help with the skimmer Thanks!

When it is producing the micro bubbles is there any foam production in the cup? If so, is it light or dark colored? How long is the longest you've let it run, without fiddling with it?

All skimmers have a breakin period, some as long as a couple of weeks, I have no personal experience with this skimmer, but at this point I would turn the skimmer to allow the bubbles to rise to just the base of the neck and then leave it for a couple of days. At this point it is doubtful the bubbles will hurt anything and as the insides of the skimmer are coated with DOC it will slow down some and probably stop producing the bubbles. At that point you can start to fine tune it.

skimmer

Started to fiddle a little more with it, and found why the bubbles weren't going away, took a turkey baster to the pump that sits inside and it had a lot of air bubbles in it. I had to really do it quite a few times because when I would get some off then they would go over to the jetheads and blow air all over. Anyways, we have hardly any bubbles now. The foam is white although after fiddling with it it produced some stuff which we have to clean now. Thank you for the info on the waiting thing, it has to be the hardest part of Saltwater!

Back
Top Bottom