Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2003, 01:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bak-Pak 2 vs. Prizm+Emperor 280: recommendations/advice?

I am setting up a 37 gallon fish only tank. I have done some research already, and given my budget these are my two filtration & skimmer options:

1. CPR Bak Pak 2
2. Red Sea Prizm with an Emperor 280

Pricewise, these two options are about the same (~$130). I have heard that the Bak Pak is a higher maintenance skimmer, and that the Prizms can be noisy. The Bak Pak is an all-in-one unit, but the second option also offers mechanical filtration.

Please help! I am looking for reasons to choose one option over the other. Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Old 06-15-2003, 05:50 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I guess you aren't going to have LR in the tank? If not, then I'd go with the Prizm/Emp 280 option. The Emperor 280 is as good a power filter as money can buy. The Prizms, IME, aren't any louder than any other venturi skimmer. If you can put in about 75lbs of LR, you can get by with just a skimmer as the LR will be the filter. The Aqua C Remora skimmers are good as well.

Old 06-15-2003, 01:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oops. Forgot to mention that. I plan on between 20-30 lbs of live rock in the tank too. Does that change your answer?
Old 06-16-2003, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would recommend the Aqua C Remora as best followed by the Bak Pak and in 3rd(a far 3rd by the way) the prizm. If you plan on live rock and want a decent skimmer, go for either the remora or bak pak. They are in a different league than the prizm IMHO.

Brian
Old 06-16-2003, 09:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to gucci2 Send a message via Yahoo to gucci2
I would go with the BakPak and the Live rock. I have a bak pak and speak from expereince with it. It is a very good (if not the best, in my opinion)
Old 06-16-2003, 11:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would not use another Prism skimmer if Red Sea paid me to do so. They shouldn't even be called a skimmer, because they don't.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hoops,

I had a prizm on my 50 gal reef. Needless to say it didn't do the job. I changed to a remora pro and the difference is immeasurable. The best HOT skimmer on the market (most expensive too).
I moved the prizm to my 10 gal nano/grow out tank and it seems to be ok. So far I'd only recommend the prizm for very small tanks.

Brian
Old 06-17-2003, 02:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got the CPR BackPack on my 55 gal and IMO seems to be worth the money.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:26 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I'd have to agree that the Remora is a great skimmer. I read a comparison between the Remora and the BakPak recently (can find it if anyone is interested) and the Remora was clearly a better performer. The Prizm, although it's nowhere near the skimmer that either the Remora or the BakPak is, will still pull a lot of DOC's out. We use one at the store on a 55 that usually houses a couple of large fish and it does a fairly good job. A customer has a Prizm Pro and it does a good job on her 75g. Both are somewhat touchy about the air adjustment. I actually use a Lee CC on my growout tanks and it produces a cup full every day of good dry skimate. If there is a cheesier skimmer out there than that one, I don't know what it is . But, it works. Buy the Remora if it's in the budget. If not, any skimmer is better than none. A Berlin HOT would also be an option. If you want a power filter though, the Emperor is the best available in terms of filtration capacity and longevity.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Unfortunately, the Aqua C Remora is just out of my price range.

I was originally leaning towards the Prizm/Emperor pair over the Bak Pak. Then I read the instruction manuals for both skimmers at the manufacturer's websites:

From reading the instructions for the Prizm, it seems that adjusting for the water level is not critical. Just keep the water level above the strainer. The collection cup isn't adjustable anyway.

However, it seems that adjusting the collection cup for the Bak Pak at 1/8" can be dicey if the water level is not constant. What happens with its efficiency as the water in the tank evaporates over the course of a day or two between topoffs? I've never used a skimmer before.

I guess I was leaning toward the Prizm because of laziness.
Now I am leaning towards the Bak Pak.

Tags
prizm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com