Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Bangaii as shoaling/schooling fish?

My first marine tank will be arriving soon. It is going to be 160*60*60cm, with a sump (70*50*45). I am thinking that my first fish obviously need to be quite tough, and would like to get a small school ideally - I worry that if I put in just one or two damsels, say, the tank will look awful empty in the early stage.

Chromis are the option I come across most often, but they...just don't excite me. I was wondering if 5/6/7 Bangaii would work in this size - I know in a smaller tank the recommendation is 1/2 of them. Or does anyone have other suggestions?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Umm... if you have a proper cycle then you don't need to worry about your fish being tough...

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
thats not completely true if your new to saltwater fish keeping after your tank cycles you want to start with hardy fish because their easier to care for if you happen to make a mistake along the way you dont want to get an expensive fish then have it die on you
Old 05-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I recomend do'n a fishless cycle. Someone one here has a link that explains it pretty good or you can look it up on the web and get the low down. And I agree with green master, If you have a proper cycle and get all you're water parameters in order you should'nt have to worry about what type of fish to start off with (with the exception of difficuly of care level).

I also recomend for you to start out slow so you dont stress out the fish and shock you're tank with so much at once that you put everything in danger of die'n and you're tank crash'n.

Once you get the parameters right and have you're live rock in the tank during the cycle process then you can add some crabs or snails or shrimp with maybe one or two fish at a clip. Then see how everything pans out, do a couple water changes (10% - 15% a week) for two weeks maybe three then try add'n another fish and keep go'n that rout till you have the amount of fish you want and the tank look'n the way you want it to .

I know it's gonna look empty for a while and you are probably like me and want everything all at once but... for the safety of the fish and the best way for you to not spend a million bucks replace'n dead livestock you gotta take it slow. You'll be thankfull in the long run.

Just check out what you have to do to cycle you're tank before you start add'n anything and follow it to a tee and you will be good to go.
Good luck
Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is something I found interesting on the bangi. You might want to try to fine one male to a group of females for a more peaceful tank.
Reefs.org: Where Reefkeeping Begins on the Internet - Captive care and Breeding of the Banggai cardinal fish Pteragon kauderni
I guess I should check for myself to see if anyone has any young ones for sale for the swap, tank bred ones are much hardier if you can find them.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Guys, thanks for the input. I'm aware of the need for cycling and taking it slow and easy. My mention of robust species was because:
1) I'm in IT infrastructure. My work thinking is all about risk minimisation, assuming that systems will fail, and putting 'robust' contingencies in place.
2) I have no doubt that either I or someone else will do something stupid at some point, which a more robust fish is more likely to survive.
3) Robust fish are less likely to suffer from disease. Psychologically, I'd prefer my first experience in new hobby to not be dealing with ich etc and/or losing a fish.
4) Even less stupid mistakes (Such as missing a feeding) will likely be mitigated by a more mature tank with established refugiums etc...so I am thinking eg Anthias I will likely put them in later when the tank is more established.

Thanks again for the input - it's undoubtedly worth reemphasising these things!

My real question though was this: does anyone have experience of keeping a larger group (5/6/7+) of Bangaii in one (larger) tank, and if so are there aggression issues? The literature I can find on them suggests that you can have a few in a larger tank, but most people seem to stick to one/pairs.

Unfortunately, the article Joy linked to (thanks) doesn't address this.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just read this:

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Kaudern's Cardinalfish

It says they get aggressive in large numbers. :-(

Best info I could find real quick.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have zero personal experience but from my research of the fish as a possible addition to our tank, the juveniles school. As they reach adulthood they become more territorial and less accepting of others. Many people keep them as mated pairs but some say that the "third wheel" is constantly picked at. But again, I have no personal experience. I just wanted to commend your attitude! It's lovely to see someone research well. I'm the exact same way... Research and pre-plan to overcome my own stupid mistakes. I have made several and will undoubtedly
make many more. Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it works out.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

For a shoaling/schooling fish I like the Zebra Dart Goby... It's not too expensive and schools quite nicely for me... I'm not sure on the hardiness of them, but so far I'm happy with what I have... if you want I could post a short video of them schooling in my tank.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I believe orange cardinals also school. They are still in the running for the open spot in my tank lOL

Tags
schooling, schooling fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com