Banggai Cardinal fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tangs27

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! I have seen some mixed info on tank sizes for these guys. I know they generally don't swim much, I have a PJ Cardinal in my 125 and he hardly moves. So does the same go for the Banggai as well? I want to put a pair in an aqueon evolve 8, about 8 gallons. It will only house the pair and live rock. Thanks

Pretty much. The only difference is that Banggai can be much more difficult to get to eat. There are tank bred ones that one can buy rather than wild caught to assist with this some.

I think bangaii's will get too big for an 8 gallon tank. Mine's body is easily the size of a half dollar and he is about 3.5-4 inches long.
He is also rather aggressive. he doesn't damage anyone, but he certainly makes his presence known.
Not sure how well two would get along in a small tank, could be lots of fighting. from all I've read, cardinals are best in small groups or solo.

Wouldn't put them in anything less then a 20 myself. That's a big fish for a 8g. If it's under 10g then I would go with a type of neon gobby or a citrus one

Honestly I am only going to be setting up another tank if it's for the Banngai. I don't have the space right now for a different size.
Everything I've read says that they only become aggressive after a pair is made. I know they can have their own personalities as I have a homicidal scopas tang.

How long does it take them to reach a few inches?

Honestly I am only going to be setting up another tank if it's for the Banngai. I don't have the space right now for a different size.
Everything I've read says that they only become aggressive after a pair is made. I know they can have their own personalities as I have a homicidal scopas tang.

How long does it take them to reach a few inches?
They are very conspecific IMO!
I had 5 in my 120g and now have 1!
I know why the other 4 died!
They actually swam into my nems,back when all 5 were active.
Maybe they were trying to hide from #1!
I would only do 1 in such a small tank and still feel lucky if it worked out.
Oh yea,
All of mine were ORA tank bred!

They are very conspecific IMO!
I had 5 in my 120g and now have 1!
I know why the other 4 died!
They actually swam into my nems,back when all 5 were active.
Maybe they were trying to hide from #1!
I would only do 1 in such a small tank and still feel lucky if it worked out.
Oh yea,
All of mine were ORA tank bred!

That's crazy! I'm not surprised thou, my scopes tang won't eat algae sheets he prefers $20 cleaner shrimp [emoji24]. So it goes to show that you just never know. I was originally going to put a pair in my 125 because I only have the tang and a pj Cardinal but I'm worried he will kill them. It's funny because he was a Valentine's Day gift from my boyfriend haha so I get to give him grief for the homicidal present [emoji16]

Back
Top Bottom