Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
I am running BB tank on my 180g, though not 100% since I use a starboard. See my thread. I have no regret.
1. A lot less maintanance. I used to have sand bed, and in comparison, I do less siphoing now.
2. Related to #1, you can have good flow in your tank without the sand blowing all over. This help detritus suspended in the water column and eventually suck out by the skimmer, so that why less siphoing
3. the tank look cleaner. Though without the sand bed, it may look bare in the beginning but I guaranteed you that you will start to love it because the tank look so clean. Eventually, the whole barebottom will covered with Corraline. this happened to my starboard.
4. Bigger tank volume for your livestock

1. Some species may not like it. If you like to keep some fish that absolutely need the sandbed, then I would advise not to go BB then.
2. Need a good skimmer to skim out the detritus before it break down to phosphate. Just a cost issue.

180g In Wall starboard reef, 100g Sump, 2 Tunze 6100, BL70 Return Pump, MR-2 Skimmer, 80lbs LR.
Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #12
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Been bare bottomed since day 1...well over 15 yrs now and I don't think it looks too bad. 8)

ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Why would you need much more external filtration with a bare bottom tank? Live rock and a good skimmer are all you should need and a refugium harvesting macroalgae is an added bonus.

A bare bottom tank, IMO, makes it easier to remove detritus. You (meaning the tank owner) become the cleanup crew by siphoning out detritus that has collected on the bottom. With a sand substrate, proper sand sifting creatures are required to keep the upper layers "loose". Also a sand substrate becomes a home to many little creatures...amphipods, copepods, bristle worms, spaghetti worms, micro brittle stars, etc. You will definitley still have these creatures in a bare bottom tank, but IMO probably not as much as if you have a sandy substrate.

You can have a good looking and healthy tank either way.

ZoozFishMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

bottom, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com