Bare bottom tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a bare bottom tank, that seems to be gaining popularity.

I'm upgrading my 55 to a 120 and was curious.

No substrate = stronger filtration requirements because bacteria has MUCH less place to grow. Personally I think they look silly.....really comes down to personal preferance.

Zero collection of detritus. No need for a cleanup crew.

However, there is the added manual removal of waste from the bottom of the tank.

Excellent choice for a FO or FOWLR.

But as stated above, it does just look silly, IMO.

You can have more flow which is great for FO, FOWLR or Reef Tanks, if you have an acrylic tank no scatches from the sand...

It is a much cleaner look.

Kaye

Why would you want a nice SW tank without a substrate? A bare bottom tank is kind of like a tuxedo with no pants. It looks good when you pose in the mirror but you do not want anyone to see you in it. :D Just my opinion but everyone has one so they do not hold their value. :)

Seems I always like what Brenden says: "If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat. "

Gotta love that.

grow out/frag t anks usually contain no substrate. The reaons is, its typically corals/rock only. You may find a small fish/snail or something here and there to help with critter control but this environment won't sustain fully loaded tanks long term without a lot of external filtration. Post pics whatever you decide!

GL!

All of the maintenence that goes with sand: Animals to sift/stir it, critters need to be replenished (detrivore kits)

DSB or no, plenum or not, what size grains, buffering? worrying that certain fish will clean out your critters.

give me time, I may think of more :mrgreen:

Kim

You may find a small fish/snail or something here and there to help with critter control but this environment won't sustain fully loaded tanks long term without a lot of external filtration

I am not even sure where something like this would come from, please explain what you are talking about here.

BB tanks have been around a long time.

Kaye

I am running BB tank on my 180g, though not 100% since I use a starboard. See my thread. I have no regret.
Advantage:
1. A lot less maintanance. I used to have sand bed, and in comparison, I do less siphoing now.
2. Related to #1, you can have good flow in your tank without the sand blowing all over. This help detritus suspended in the water column and eventually suck out by the skimmer, so that why less siphoing
3. the tank look cleaner. Though without the sand bed, it may look bare in the beginning but I guaranteed you that you will start to love it because the tank look so clean. Eventually, the whole barebottom will covered with Corraline. this happened to my starboard.
4. Bigger tank volume for your livestock

Disadvantage:
1. Some species may not like it. If you like to keep some fish that absolutely need the sandbed, then I would advise not to go BB then.
2. Need a good skimmer to skim out the detritus before it break down to phosphate. Just a cost issue.

Been bare bottomed since day 1...well over 15 yrs now and I don't think it looks too bad. 8)

f-tank_8-05.jpg

Why would you need much more external filtration with a bare bottom tank? Live rock and a good skimmer are all you should need and a refugium harvesting macroalgae is an added bonus.

A bare bottom tank, IMO, makes it easier to remove detritus. You (meaning the tank owner) become the cleanup crew by siphoning out detritus that has collected on the bottom. With a sand substrate, proper sand sifting creatures are required to keep the upper layers "loose". Also a sand substrate becomes a home to many little creatures...amphipods, copepods, bristle worms, spaghetti worms, micro brittle stars, etc. You will definitley still have these creatures in a bare bottom tank, but IMO probably not as much as if you have a sandy substrate.

You can have a good looking and healthy tank either way.

Back
Top Bottom