Bare Minimum Fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I been dreaming and planning over starting a 40b reef, and using my currently freshwater 20 long as the sump. That's a long ways off, so I was thinking about starting the 20 long up with a very minimal setup. I have an AquaClear 50, LED lighting and a heater already so I was wondering if I could add a power head and successfully run this as a FOWLR, with weekly maintenance of course? For stocking I'd be happy with a pair of clowns, but would also like to have a pistol shrimp/goby pair if space allows.

I am something very similar with my current 20g long. It has AC70, heater, few live rocks, LPS and BTAs. No fish or substrate. Been trying to do weekly 4g water change, but end up doing it every 2 weeks.

I am something very similar with my current 20g long. It has AC70, heater, few live rocks, LPS and BTAs. No fish or substrate. Been trying to do weekly 4g water change, but end up doing it every 2 weeks.

Did you do anything to your AC70 to convert to saltwater besides the normal cleaning?

I do 3G water change every Monday religiously, so I think I should be fine sticking to that with saltwater?

I remember running an AC 50 and AC 20 at the same time on my 27 gallon cube. It all worked out fine. You can start the way you want and upgrade your filtration if needed in the future. As long as you keep your bioload on a lighter side it should be ok.

Also, is there any reason you don't have any fish?

I remember running an AC 50 and AC 20 at the same time on my 27 gallon cube. It all worked out fine. You can start the way you want and upgrade your filtration if needed in the future. As long as you keep your bioload on a lighter side it should be ok.

Any reason for running the AC20 as well? I also have an AC20 here not being used.

Any reason for running the AC20 as well? I also have an AC20 here not being used.

Just because I had it. Also, after testing an AC70 it seemed to me that running AC50 and AC20 was more quiet. AC70 is nice and not overly noisy but at the time I was also on the market for a protein skimmer so I didn't really care as much about which model I was running.

Just because I had it. Also, after testing an AC70 it seemed to me that running AC50 and AC20 was more quiet. AC70 is nice and not overly noisy but at the time I was also on the market for a protein skimmer so I didn't really care as much about which model I was running.

So you just run the AC50 and 20 as mechanical filters?

No special equipment?

Got it. So basically tear down my freshwater. Clean everything and replace filter media. Add a powerhead, and im ready to refill with saltwater, live sand, and live rock and begin cycling?

Yes. For a 40 FOWLR you can probably get away with two 400 gallons per hour powerheads or one 800 gph.

This will just be a 20 long, temporary fowlr until I can get a 40 breeder put together, then the 20 long will become the sump.

Back
Top Bottom