Barebottom substrate or 1/2 -1" sand non-deep sand bed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 37g w/a DSB. IT has been running just fine for a year and a half. I have a new 90g that is empty, in the "planning stage".

I've read several articles on other forums (and this forum) about the pros/cons of a barebottom system. However, many of the discussions seem to be from a year or more ago. What is the latest thinking on barebottom tanks?

With a barebottom tank, I have gathered that I would need to do perhaps more changes, which won't be a problem with my new setup, but I'm wondering if I put a DSB in my sump alone would that help long-term (and when that "crashes", if it does, I just replace the sand).

OR, since I do like the look of sand, what if I do 1/2-1" sand, and a DSB in the sump? And use a turkey blaster occasionally to sift up the sand (or can some critters be used to do this)?

Sorry if this info is readily available...

Nassarius snails do a good job of turning the sand. I would hate a bare bottom. Seems like that might be necessary if you had an aggressive fish tank where snails could not be used but otherwise use sand if you like it.

Just my opinion though...

Back
Top Bottom