base rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sully08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting ready to start up a 220g salt tank, 72g sump. Because money is a little tight right now and i am not in any rush, could I start the process with 200 lbs. of base rock. Will it eventaully start to cycle on its own? What could I do to speed up the process? any tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

I am getting ready to start up a 220g salt tank, 72g sump. Because money is a little tight right now and i am not in any rush, could I start the process with 200 lbs. of base rock. Will it eventaully start to cycle on its own? What could I do to speed up the process? any tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

I was told to add a raw shrimp into my tank, only a 30 gallon tank, you'll probably need 2-3. a little tip, if you add the raw shrimp put them in a mesh bag of some sort before you put them in, it just makes it easier to get out. The reason for the shrimp is it adds an ammnoia source and helps kick start the cycle.

you could do that, the raw shrimp will begin to break down and decomposereleasing ammonia into the water. the ammonia is what you need to build the benificial bacteria that is needed to convert the ammonia from urine poop and decomposing food into nitrite, then that nitrite will b converted into a less harmful nitrate.

if you are puttign a sump some chaeto algae and deep sand bed in a section of it for a refugium and that will help suck up some nitrate. the rest will be lowered with regular water changes and a good protein skimmer

Back
Top Bottom