Base rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lane1223

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok for one, is it ok to put livd rock in my tank with ammonia nitrite and nitrates? And also what is base rock what are the details about it?

Do you have any livestock in your tank now? How long has it been cycling? Size of tank?

Base rock is not from the ocean, or it's dead so to speak. Alot of companies actually make the rock out of calcium something I think, you get no live bacteria on it and it has no critters either. It's also usually at least half the price of live rock from your lfs

carey said:
Do you have any livestock in your tank now? How long has it been cycling? Size of tank?

Base rock is not from the ocean, or it's dead so to speak. Alot of companies actually make the rock out of calcium something I think, you get no live bacteria on it and it has no critters either. It's also usually at least half the price of live rock from your lfs

Ok!! I have no livestock yet and has been cyclin for a week now. It's a 40b. Where you get base rock?

You can add all the live rock you want now since its cycling so it won't produce die off and hurt any fish. How much rock do you have so far?

I get all my base rock from reefcleaners.org.
I think it's $100 for 50lbs now with free shipping. You can price around though. I've just had good luck with them

carey said:
You can add all the live rock you want now since its cycling so it won't produce die off and hurt any fish. How much rock do you have so far?

I get all my base rock from reefcleaners.org.
I think it's $100 for 50lbs now with free shipping. You can price around though. I've just had good luck with them

Ok!! Cool I dont have any so far but I'm going to the lfs today so I'm going to get some. :) ok so I have another question if your willing to answer. :)

Thats what we are all here for, fire away...

As far as the rock, if you get say 40lbs of base rock and 10 lbs of real live rock the live rock will seed the base rock and make it "live" as well over time. It's recommended to have 1.5 to 2lbs of rock per gallon usually. I'm not sure if the footprint of the 40B makes a difference. You might want more rock since you have more bottom real estate. :)

carey said:
Thats what we are all here for, fire away...

As far as the rock, if you get say 40lbs of base rock and 10 lbs of real live rock the live rock will seed the base rock and make it "live" as well over time. It's recommended to have 1.5 to 2lbs of rock per gallon usually. I'm not sure if the footprint of the 40B makes a difference. You might want more rock since you have more bottom real estate. :)

Ok. Friday night I took out the dead shrimp. Sunday night I put some back in. The ammonia isn't shooting any higher than when it didn't have any dead shrimp... But the nitrites are off the charts. What does this mean? Did I stall it? It's pretty much staying the same everyday.... Will adding live rock help this?

I'd either keep another dead shrimp in there to boost your ammonia or dose the tank with Pure ammonia, like janitorial strength you get at Ace Hardware. That way you can control the ammonia level. If you test every morning, youre ammonia should be going down from the morning before. If it does you just add some more ammonia til you get to the ppm you are aiming for.

Adding Live rock will help a little bit die to die off on it, so you will have a slight ammonia spike I'd think. You need to keep the ammonia up until the nitrites start falling. It could take days or weeks to finish a cycle so don't worry. :)

carey said:
I'd either keep another dead shrimp in there to boost your ammonia or dose the tank with Pure ammonia, like janitorial strength you get at Ace Hardware. That way you can control the ammonia level. If you test every morning, youre ammonia should be going down from the morning before. If it does you just add some more ammonia til you get to the ppm you are aiming for.

Adding Live rock will help a little bit die to die off on it, so you will have a slight ammonia spike I'd think. You need to keep the ammonia up until the nitrites start falling. It could take days or weeks to finish a cycle so don't worry. :)

Haha ok. I will go by our hardware store and try to find some. And buy some live rock. Thanks. I have 4 small dead shrimp... Should I add a few more small ones?

If you are gonna go the pure ammonia route you won't need them. :)

You'll get insta ammonia so you dont have to wait for the shrimp to decay.

carey said:
If you are gonna go the pure ammonia route you won't need them. :)

You'll get insta ammonia so you dont have to wait for the shrimp to decay.

Ok great!!! Thanks so much!! Now all I have to do is find a hardware store. Haha :)

Just nake sure it has no added ingredients. Nothing at all. If you shake the bottle and you get soap bubbles then its no good. Ace hardware has it for like $3 if you have one locally.

Yeah! I got 3 huge prices of live rock today and this little guy came along. :) I dont know how he's alive because the levels are off the charts buts he's been in for 4 hours now and it doing great. :)

Attachments

• image-516550884.jpg
    image-516550884.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom