Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lane1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 221
Base rock

Ok for one, is it ok to put livd rock in my tank with ammonia nitrite and nitrates? And also what is base rock what are the details about it?
__________________

__________________
Lane1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
Do you have any livestock in your tank now? How long has it been cycling? Size of tank?

Base rock is not from the ocean, or it's dead so to speak. Alot of companies actually make the rock out of calcium something I think, you get no live bacteria on it and it has no critters either. It's also usually at least half the price of live rock from your lfs
__________________

__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lane1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Do you have any livestock in your tank now? How long has it been cycling? Size of tank?

Base rock is not from the ocean, or it's dead so to speak. Alot of companies actually make the rock out of calcium something I think, you get no live bacteria on it and it has no critters either. It's also usually at least half the price of live rock from your lfs
Ok!! I have no livestock yet and has been cyclin for a week now. It's a 40b. Where you get base rock?
__________________
Lane1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
You can add all the live rock you want now since its cycling so it won't produce die off and hurt any fish. How much rock do you have so far?

I get all my base rock from reefcleaners.org.
I think it's $100 for 50lbs now with free shipping. You can price around though. I've just had good luck with them
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lane1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
You can add all the live rock you want now since its cycling so it won't produce die off and hurt any fish. How much rock do you have so far?

I get all my base rock from reefcleaners.org.
I think it's $100 for 50lbs now with free shipping. You can price around though. I've just had good luck with them
Ok!! Cool I dont have any so far but I'm going to the lfs today so I'm going to get some. ok so I have another question if your willing to answer.
__________________
Lane1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
Thats what we are all here for, fire away...

As far as the rock, if you get say 40lbs of base rock and 10 lbs of real live rock the live rock will seed the base rock and make it "live" as well over time. It's recommended to have 1.5 to 2lbs of rock per gallon usually. I'm not sure if the footprint of the 40B makes a difference. You might want more rock since you have more bottom real estate.
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lane1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Thats what we are all here for, fire away...

As far as the rock, if you get say 40lbs of base rock and 10 lbs of real live rock the live rock will seed the base rock and make it "live" as well over time. It's recommended to have 1.5 to 2lbs of rock per gallon usually. I'm not sure if the footprint of the 40B makes a difference. You might want more rock since you have more bottom real estate.
Ok. Friday night I took out the dead shrimp. Sunday night I put some back in. The ammonia isn't shooting any higher than when it didn't have any dead shrimp... But the nitrites are off the charts. What does this mean? Did I stall it? It's pretty much staying the same everyday.... Will adding live rock help this?
__________________
Lane1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
I'd either keep another dead shrimp in there to boost your ammonia or dose the tank with Pure ammonia, like janitorial strength you get at Ace Hardware. That way you can control the ammonia level. If you test every morning, youre ammonia should be going down from the morning before. If it does you just add some more ammonia til you get to the ppm you are aiming for.

Adding Live rock will help a little bit die to die off on it, so you will have a slight ammonia spike I'd think. You need to keep the ammonia up until the nitrites start falling. It could take days or weeks to finish a cycle so don't worry.
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Lane1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I'd either keep another dead shrimp in there to boost your ammonia or dose the tank with Pure ammonia, like janitorial strength you get at Ace Hardware. That way you can control the ammonia level. If you test every morning, youre ammonia should be going down from the morning before. If it does you just add some more ammonia til you get to the ppm you are aiming for.

Adding Live rock will help a little bit die to die off on it, so you will have a slight ammonia spike I'd think. You need to keep the ammonia up until the nitrites start falling. It could take days or weeks to finish a cycle so don't worry.
Haha ok. I will go by our hardware store and try to find some. And buy some live rock. Thanks. I have 4 small dead shrimp... Should I add a few more small ones?
__________________
Lane1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
If you are gonna go the pure ammonia route you won't need them.

You'll get insta ammonia so you dont have to wait for the shrimp to decay.
__________________

__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
base, base rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using ocean rock as base/decorative rock? aaronalam Saltwater Reef Aquaria 15 07-02-2011 06:27 PM
Base rock in UK? aaronalam Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 12 06-29-2011 05:33 PM
base rock ? firemouthkeeper Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 06-26-2011 05:58 PM
base rock williemccall Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 1 06-26-2011 03:06 PM
Base Rock in Freshwater Tank? Buffy Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 06-25-2011 11:39 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.