base rock....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoodFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
my base rock came in today, but i am still waiting for my pump for my sump to come in....can i start cycling my tank now, then once my pump comes in fill up the rest of my tank so it is high enough for my overflow box?? or should I wait for it to come in??

Also, my test kit should be here in a couple of days so do you think I can put in my base rock now and let it sit there with my maxi jets on it w/o it cycling? or is that bad for the rock....as soon as my kit comes in i plan on starting the cycle...

opinions appreciated....

You can start the cycle now as long as you have the substrate in there already. Adding sand after the fact can be quite messy. It will be a week or so before ammonia shows up so you have plenty of time. You don't need the rest of the equip in regards to getting the cycle started.

The only possible concern being if the overflow is a HOB or built in. If a HOB, start now, if built in and plumbing still needs doing for the sump, I'd wait.

Cheers
Stve

well I still need the pump in the sump so once the water goes in the sump there is no way for it to get back to the tank.....is it okay if i start the cycle in teh main tank then once i get the pump add more water during the cycle so it can get in the sump????

sure. add what water you can.. toss in a power head for movement, and a cocktail shrimp. You'll be doing lots of waiting anyway....

yeah, you can always hook up your sump later, i would start cycling at least the display tank, trust me, the quicker you can get it started, the sooner you can add fish. You could have started it a couple of days ago if you had sand and a powerhead. I added my baserock after around of cycling, then my LR a week later.

my water is still not clear....will that matter??or no....its still dusty from when i stirred up the sand again from putting in the base rock....

The "dust" or cloudiness of the water will settle once bacteria and other organics adhere to it. Nothing to be concerned about. It will settle in a few days.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom