Base Rock and Live Rock in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Freak

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was hoping to get some suggestions in regards to using base rock in a new tank with live rock also...I am starting up a new 56 gal cube tank and have read that people use base rock and live rock together in new tanks...any views or suggestions on pounds of each to use or should it all be live rock...it will be uncured live rock also, not sure if that make a difference or not with base...

Thank in advance for any advice :D

I am currently setting up a 125G. I am planning on 150Lbs of base and about 50Lbs of LR. You can probably, in your case, treat the uncured as base and add it all at the same time, then do your fishless cycle.
I am shooting for 1.5-2Lbs per gallon in my tank.

I know that the base rock is cheaper to purchase and the uncured live rock is 8.99 lb so I guess that is why I was hoping to use the base also..I do have a place that I can purchase cured lr for also should I maybe do that instead of the uncured in a new tank?

Thanks again

I read somewhere on this forum that you should have at least 20% of live rock with respect to your base rock. For example, if you were going to have 100lbs of base rock, you would need 20lbs of live rock. Then again I don't know where this information came from, I just read it somewhere on the forums. Hope that helps.

I was thinking of going somewhere around the 75 lb mark for rock..both kinds so maybe I will go for the 40 lbs base and 35 lbs live and see how is goes...this saltwater stuff is pretty overwhelming to say the least...I read the forums and think maybe I should just stick to my freshwater that I know inside and out..sure makes me feel that I know nothing about fish.. :oops:

Hoping to catch on here soon..... 8O

Remember "live", we are only talking about the nitrifying bacteria on/in the rock, much like live sand. 20% could be a decent number, but if you are cycling your tank, I imagine it wont any drastic effects either way. The critters on the cured LR/live sand are just bonuses.
I think it will just take longer for the colorful coraline to move onto the base rock if you have a small amount of LR.
I have been in contact with Marc, from marcorocks.com/ and plan on ordering from him this Friday, for my base rock, I'll pick up the LR as I find pieces that I like from my LFS.

As always Roka, nice link.

I'm toying with the idea of doing a 55 gallon after the holidays. That would save me a bundle I think.

Aquarium Freak said:
this saltwater stuff is pretty overwhelming to say the least...

Hoping to catch on here soon..... 8O
Really it's just more expensive to setup but maintaining is really close to FW.

Main thing to remember is that SW doesn't exchange oxygen as well as FW so you're more limited to the amount of fish you can have. A basic rule is 1" per 5 gal of water or about 11" total fish length for the 56 gal your considering.

As long as you take it slowly and research thoroughly you should do fine.

As for the base/lr combo it's a great way to save money and with the amount of lr you're considering it would all "look" live within a year or two.

The 35 lbs of uncured lr would probably be enough to start your cycle. If not you could always toss in a raw shrimp :)

tecwzrd said:
The 35 lbs of uncured lr would probably be enough to start your cycle. If not you could always toss in a raw shrimp
I agree, I felt a little funny buying 5 pieces of unseasoned/raw shrimp from my grocery store. A whopping $.53! LOL!

You know I know some people that have used all BR and they have nice tanks. It will have the nitrifying bacteria on it at the end of the cycle just like any LR. It might take a little longer but you will achieve the same results except for that bonus feature Scott was talking about.(Critters) Good Luck AF

Thank you all so much for your words of wisdom...you are all making me feel so much more at ease about taking on this addiction :)

I will phone my lfs and see what they have for base and live rock and take it from there..know I am excited to get this whole process started..I will go very slow as I will be a chicken to try anything new :oops:

My next headache I am sure will be the lighting...

Oh and quick question....and most likely stupid too...do I need to run a ph when the tank is cycling?

Would a rena XP3 be a good canister filter or the XP2..also 2 ph or will one suffice....

Thanks again

If you shoot for 1.5-2Lbs of rock in your tank, you will have enough for proper biofiltration and can skip the filter. I have a filter, but use it for water movement and to run carbon if I need to. You can probably save you money and get a nice skimmer.
Yes, run your ph during the cycle, this will help keep a somewhat stable pH.
I have 2 phs in my 55G. (going to buy another one today, to add movement to spots that are starting to build up hair algae.)
I bought this light for my FOWLR:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12772&N=2004+113175
Nice lights.

If wanting corals more then likely you are going to need MH due to how tall your tank is and the limited 30" width. Something like the Coralife pro hqi 24". Most lights come in 24" or 36" lengths

I have (or had) 40% BR and 60% LR when I started my 55gal tank.

3 years later and ALL of my BR is COMPLETELY covered with coraline algae. I really can't tell the difference between my BR and LR.

HTH...

Back
Top Bottom