base rock/ live rock seeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lziarek

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 96 lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of base lava rock. My lava rock is on top of my live rock since the live rock pieces I have are large and the lava rock is small. What are the best ways to help seed the lava rock? The bacteria will start growing on the lava rock by itself and this is not a worry, however I would like my base rock to start growing some coraline algea and other macro life forms =). Is there anything besides time that can help propogate and faciliate the growth of macro life on lava rock?

I've been told lava rock, any volcanic rock, isn't good for seeding, or even general use in a marine tank.

yikes! Is there a reason why it is undersireable to have in the tank? My snails and reef hermits seem to graze on it, assuming they are eating diatoms and the such. The lfs said it was safe to add to reef aquarium. Ah, crap, wait its not lava rock its lace rock.... Just called the lfs to confirm. Is lace rock ok?

Back
Top Bottom