Basement sump???s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E-rock

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just built the stand for my new 90 gallon tank. And I thought I had made it with enough room for my 30 gallon sump. But long story short I desided I needed more room vertical to work. I figured for the same money as new 2x4s I could get PVC and run my sump in my basement. And I could now use a 55 gallon tank as my sump. And can have the room for turf scrubbers, fuges, top off...what ever. Now my main question is I have a mag 12 for my return is that enough ???? (I haven't measure excataly how tall it will be but I plan on raiseing the 55 up pretty high in my basement. Has anyone tried this or have any opinions?

I have mine in the basement. I have a Mag 18. At an 8 feet head you would have a flow rate of about 700 gph with the Mag 12. This would probably be enough. Having it in the basement does make it easier to do water changes ect. As long as your wife doesn't freak out when you drill the holes in the floor. Lol.

I feel like I am gonna be pulling the mag 12 back anyway from the 1100gph ish. Because my tank only has a 1" overflow. And thats the only other down side it seems like, having holes in the floor. Any other things that I should know about running a sump in the basement?

A sump in your basement would make everything easier as far as room to work with stuff. As far as your return pump, it depends how far the water needs to travel.

You might be able to run the pipes through the vents. A buddy of mine is doing this his 375g

Is this tubing going to have the least resistance? And I fiqured using the reef central calc that after head loss I am going to have some where in 800-900 gph but it may go as low as 750gph. Is this going to be good enough?

PVC tubing is much easier to work with than rigid pipe, but you knew that. Making turns especially 45degree turns with rigid pvc increases the pressure and reduces flow significantly.

I keep my sump in the basement with around 22ft of head. Running a Reeflo Barracuda I'm still not happy with the amount of flow I get at the tank. One of these days, I will swap out the pump for something larger. I would suggest that you should figure out whatever pump the specs say you can use, and then go one or two sizes up. The worst thing that could happen is you put a ball valve at the output and throttle it back a little.

Yeah I found the mag 12 at a good price on cl. I couldn't really pass it up. I am thinking it will at least get my by until I get the rest of my equipment. One good thing on craigslist is that you can resell items at the same price you bought it. I believe the pump has 3/4" out would I be better off running 1 1/2" and just getting the adapter even know I have a 1" bulkhead or would I be better off running 1" the whole way?
Thanks everyone for their input.

The flexible PVC is called Spa-flex. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes. I have my sump, a 55g, in the basemnent and use an Iwaki MD 55RLT pump.

Back
Top Bottom