Basic Temp Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christine22780

Aquarium Advice Activist
I keep my tank around 81....It does increase occassionally if I dont have the AC on and its hot... Does anyone use a cooling device, or have this prob? Ifind myself occassionally unplugging the thing, b/c it still tries to run.

My tank has been ranging from 80.6 in the morning to 81.7 after the lights go out. I keep my AC at a constant 76-degrees. The main thing is stability and keeping the temp swing as small as possible within the reasonable range. Typically somewhere from 75-82 degrees. But keep your swing less than 2-degrees.

Im suprised there isnt something to control it better.. Ill try a fan next time I see if it creeps up. I just moved my large fish into a new aquarium UPSTAIRS...so I know its going to range alittle...Its worrying me alittle. Even with 3 vents and central AC It stays warm in there... My husband mentioned setting up in the basement, we just finished it with carpet, but I dont want any water on the carpet and into the cement...it would create a mold disaster, and im allergic.
S.NH is HOT in the summer80-95 lately...and cold in the winter!!

The main thing in a SW tank is stability. If you can just keep the temp stable whether it`s 77 or 82 then you`ll be OK. Wild swings in temps will cause big problems.

I agree with the rest. I use a floor fan on my 125. I have it hooked up to the timer that my light is on and it stays stable. I also use two heaters.

I keep mine at 82 as well. It's really stable there. I have no A/C and that's one of the reasons I keep it that warm. When it gets hot, the swing in temp isn't as drastic. It was suggested that I keep a fan on the water surface. The other thing I do is freeze a gal. of R/O and drop it in the sump at the hottest part of the day.

Mine climbs seasonally as the temp outside peaks and the AC can't keep up. I flux between 80-83 from casual observation. Never been a problem for me, much like the shallows in the sea, temp varies with the day.

Never had a problem w/ 2-3 degree shifts, didn't/don't expect to either

Im just alittle nervous with moving my my tank upstairs. Im setting up a 2nd and want my larger fish up on the second fl. but I didnt think about temp. till after I did it!

Back
Top Bottom