Battling Cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgranata13

Aquarium Advice Regular
So it turns out that a whole bunch of what I thought was coralline is actually cyano. I have quite a bit of actual coralline on the rock that I got to seed my tank that I just assumed the cyano was new coralline, since it did look really crusty and opaque. I was wrong.

I just started a tank blackout and I changed my matrix Carbon and PhosGuard to maximize their efficiency. I'm going out tomorrow to get an RO/DI unit and I'll be doing a water change as well as physical removal once I've got that set up.

This is still early stages, and I'm far from an outbreak/takeover, but I'm doing such an aggressive treatment to nip it in the bud. Any advice?

Joseph Granata

I usually use the product red slime turn my skimmer on high and 2 consecutive days of 25% water change. Keep an eye on the skimmer because the red slime will make it go crazy and the cup fills quickly. I stop feeding for the two days of red slime and things and are noticeably better. Just my two cents that have worked out for me in my brief time in this hobby (year and ahalf)

Cyano is a nutrient issue in the water column. Reduce feedings, increase flow, large water changes with ro/di water. You treat it just like algae issues.

Cyano is a nutrient issue in the water column. Reduce feedings, increase flow, large water changes with ro/di water. You treat it just like algae issues.
+1
The chemiclean or red slime remover will work, but it's just removing the symptom of the underlying issue, which is excess nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom