Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2004, 12:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
BB tanks

ive been reading a lot online and it seems that bare bottomed tanks are coming back into fashion... anybody out there have one?

it seems like you could really cut back on the amount of waste produced by removing the DSB...

what do other people think?

Old 10-21-2004, 01:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you don't mind the way it looks aesthetically go for it. I decided on a DSB mostly for NNR and so far it has worked like a charm. Depending on what type of tank you want you may need to find another way to keep nitrates low.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 01:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
now it was my understanding that a DSB was supposed to be around 5"+ to actually replace a filter, but feel free to correct me if im wrong. that seems like an awful waste of money since LS is EXPENSIVE and it seems like DSB's crash a lot, and release that nasty anoxic stuff.

the reason im brining this up is because i was looking into starting a SPS tank (particularly acro) sometime in the FAR future (im still getting experienced with softies here, so itll be a while), and a lot of people say BB is the only way to go.

sucessful DSB acro keepers? sucessful BB acro keepers?
Old 10-21-2004, 01:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
DSB's dont need to be live sand, in fact a lot of DSB's are made of certain typps of aragonite play sand that runs like 5 bucks for 50 lbs. i dont know much a bout the crashing
Old 10-21-2004, 09:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your can achieve NNR with anywhere from 3"- 8" of aragonite. DSB's are great for a lightly stocked Reef tank with sand stirring critters and good water flow. Most DSB crashes are caused by bad husbandry, wrong substrate size, dead sand, digging fish. You could always do a remote DSB if you are nervous and want no nitrates.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com