Beach sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landshark

Aquarium Advice Activist
:fish1:Does anyone know If I could use beach sand from the beach for my saltwater tank? Will it kill my fish? And should I just buy the packaged stuff in the bag???

You are in the freshwater forums, but consider this...
Beaches are the planet's skimmers. All the crud gets washed up onto them and into the sand.
Consider also that most beach sands are silicate sands and will do nothing to help maintain and buffer your pH. Some may even say that silicate sand in a salt tank may contribute to diatom issues.

Not saying it can't be done. Proper cleaning of the sand and care of the tank will be necessary. You will need to research how to properly clean it.

Can you put a Clownfish in the same aquarium with 2 damsels in it?? Will they get along ???

I wouldn't recommend putting anything with a damsel. And clownfish are damsels also. So I'm going to say no. Damsels don't play well with others.

Generally speaking, clowns are okay with other fish, but damsels are mean little fish. There are lots of stories where people get them early on and then regret it later. They are also tricky to get out, so I feel its best to go with other options.

Regarding the beach sand...there is no way I would do that. Too much potential for contaminants. Buying new sand is not all that expensive and this tends to be an expensive hobby. Skimping on stuff like sand and water makes no sense to me.

Generally speaking, clowns are okay with other fish, but damsels are mean little fish. There are lots of stories where people get them early on and then regret it later. They are also tricky to get out, so I feel its best to go with other options.

Regarding the beach sand...there is no way I would do that. Too much potential for contaminants. Buying new sand is not all that expensive and this tends to be an expensive hobby. Skimping on stuff like sand and water makes no sense to me.

I'm one of those people. I ended up having to remove 100 of 120 pounds of live rock to catch one damsel. He killed 3 other fish and lots of shrimp.

There have been people who have used sand from the beach successfully. Im not an advocate of it, but it has occurred. They did an extensive amount of cleaning of the sand prior to placement into the tank. It depends on where you live on how polluted it is/could be and are supposedly times of the day that are better for going out to collect it. Idk if it is fact or theory, just what I have read through other build threads of people more experienced than me, so take it with a grain of sand.

And idk about you, but the beaches around me are made out of play sand, which I know I wouldn't want in my tank personally. Either pool filter sand or bagged sand from the lfs are better choices. I ordered mine from dr foster and smiths and they have lots of options in sand, including black and pink.

I have a clown fish and two damsels but got them all as babies within a matter of weeks / months of each other. The third fish ( second damsel) got bullied a little at the start but now they are all friends. Each has their own territory. I wouldn't add anymore to this tank now that they are older and have bonded!

Attachments

• image-2031920967.jpg
    image-2031920967.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom