beach water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xvictimx26

Aquarium Advice Newbie
sounds stupid but i live so close to the beach and dont see why it would be needed to purchase sinthetic salt mixes when i can drive five minuites and get as much water as i need so would it work or is there something im not understanding?

see the foam at the surfs edge??? POLLUTION- Storm run offs n stuff like that. You would have to go a few miles off shore at minimum to get decent water and even then it may be illegal in your community/town/state.

yes beach water is dirty. i would never use it and i am not even a sw person. think of all the waste that gets dumped into the water by man.

theres small reefs all down the coast, it would still be dirty if i were to get it from say 300 yards offshore where the reefs are? just trying to find out if its even worth trying, thanks

I agree with the previous posters. You won't know what's in it and the beaches are nature's protein skimmers... the stuff you don't want in your tank is concentrated there. Natural sea water is an option, but for me to feel safe about it collection would have to take place miles from shore. Easier to start with a known IMO.

it has its ups n downs
Some folks have done it or do it on a regular basis others have found out it wasnt worth the trouble as there were too many impurities. Get a small sample and test it. post and see what some others may think.
personally.. I wouldnt do it.

** hehehe I am a slow typer... i saw the other responses AFTER I posted this one***

it has its ups n downs
Some folks have done it or do it on a regular basis others have found out it wasnt worth the trouble as there were too many impurities. Get a small sample and test it. post and see what some others may think.
personally.. I wouldnt do it.

The trouble is that you can't test for the possibilities. Phosphates, Mag, NH3, NH4, etc. ok, but how do you test for heavy metals or medical waste?

Near shore saltwater in heavily populated areas are mostly polluted by man. But a second train of thought is that unfilter seawater has lots of organisms that could ruin our tanks in short order. Our tanks are such a small section of what an ocean is and as such we have to be that much more careful of what we add to it.

Last edited:
thanks for the input so far, just seeing if it would work before i try it and the worst happens

the aquarium uses water from the ocean but you have to see the things they do to it before hand...

staci_06.16_.08_filtration4_.jpg

staci_06.16_.08_filtrationpost2_.jpg

staci_06.16_.08_filtrationpost_.jpg

Aquarium of the Pacific | Blogs | The ABC’s of Filtration at the Aquarium

Well the waves come crashing in and mixes with air and you get the foaming action like in our protein skimmers only on a larger scale.

As everyone has already stated pollution city, use ro/di water and salt mix

I have three of those in my house! LOL! Just kidding. I agree with the rest. I like to know to a certain degree what I'm putting in my tank. Parasites or pollution can some in with NSW.

Back
Top Bottom