Beau_123's 55g reef tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau_123

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I ask so many questions on different things so I am just going to make one thread for all of them.

I have a quick question regarding my turbo snails if the are on their sides can they get back up or do I have to help them.

Well 2 of mine I put at the bottom are not flipping back over

Also I am thinking about a sump what should I get.

That depends on the size you want to go. I built one myself out of a 20 long and precut pieces of glass from Lowes. You could also go the industrial rubbermaid type tub route.

Can you give me the material list of what you did and the steps on how you made it please.

Last edited by a moderator:
20 gallon long tank
4 pieces of glass cut at lowes, dimensions I forget you'd have to measure the tank
aquarium silicon I had laying around
10 dollar clip on work light from walmart
60 watt bulb from the lamp where the tank is currently located

Basically, the return section only needs to be the length of your return pump. This is your third section. You will place three dividers between it and the second section, it is best to see a picture rather than me trying to explain it...http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2300/2367447542_502268dc86_o.jpg
Then you just have one piece of glass between the first and second sections.
The only tricky part is the middle piece dividing the second and third sections. I used old magazines to hold it up while I applied the silicon and used painter's tape to loosely hold it in place.
When applying the silicon, you want to make sure that you do so smoothly. Cut the nozzle at a 45 degree angle, it helps. Don't gob it on, just run it the entire way up the side. Use a popsicle stick to smooth out any bubbles. And fyi, you don't want to get this crap on your hands. If you are unsure of yourself or messy...wear gloves.

Thanks a lot that helps and how do I get the water into it.

What can I use to clean an aquarium because I have an old used 10 gl that my sister had a hamster in and I need to know what I can clean it with.

If the tank is drilled, then you simply plumb with bulkheads. If not, you will need a HOB (Hang on back) overflow. I'm currently using a CPR HOB overflow with an aqualifter pump to ensure I don't lose siphon. This is where you get into the wonderful world of gallons per hour for return pumps, overflows, and headloss.

Could I do it out of Rubbermaid tubs because my tank I was going to use I can't because it doesn't hold water.

What kind of band saw should I get for fragging can I get one from lows or Home Depot.

Back
Top Bottom