Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Becoming Salty! And Lighting Questions

So I recently acquired a saltwater tank from a friend of mine. It's my first time getting into saltwater and I'm quite excited! It is a globe tank with a diameter of about 18 inches. I'm guessing its about 15 gallons. It has a percula clown fish, a pistol shrimp, 2 snails, and some various corals including:
A sun polyp
A green star polyp
A candy cane coral
and 3 other kinds of zoas I believe.

Now for the questions
I recently purchased the AI Prime for the tank. Now the instructions to set it up are awful, and I have no idea on the spectrum for each kind of bulb in there and how long the lights should be on. Could someone give me a good idea of what percentage each of the bulbs should be on? And how long the light itself should stay on?

Also, any important information I should know about the corals? The sun polyp seems to be hiding a lot.

Finally, the tank was infested with aiptasia. I used Aiptasia X And seemed to have killed off most of it, but it always seems to grow back. Any ways to completely eradicate it?
Thanks!

Old 11-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

No clue on the ai lighting schedule as I've never used one but you want it about 75% blue and 25% a white.

Sun polyps are non photosynthetic and need to be fed. Check them after lights out. They should be open then

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sun polyps also like lower flow areas.
As for the aiptasia, continue with the aiptasia x. In infested tanks it can take time to get rid of them all.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm still trying to figure out all the settings for the Prime. Is there a good spectrum/intensity that would be best for corals?
Old 11-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You'll want to have an actinic 420k rating and maybe a 10-15k bulb depending on what you like. As for a aipstisa, you could look into a file fish. I have had great success with them. Mine loves to eat aipstisa.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448581370.095643.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	281203
File fish acting camera shy.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I tried two file fish the first was aptasia safe and coral safe the second went for my acans so they got removed.

I then tried a copperband that got battered by the powder blue so that died the powder blue then died from whitespot so once fallow was over tried another copperband that decided it liked my tracky and acans but in the process it showed my Regal tang how to chomp corals and that proceeded to throw my acans around the tank so both the Regal and copperband got removed.

I then tried 4 pepermint shrimps they unfortunately got battered by the 6 cleaner shrimps that are in there.

I just use apti x now as and when I see one and gave up trying to keep things that will eat aptasia.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

For a 15 gallon tank a few peppermint shrimp might be a good idea. I know the last one I had cleared my aipista problem in no time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 11-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Alright, so after finally making some more sense of the Prime software, I have a photoperiod that starts at about 6500k at 10:00 AM, and switches to being about 14000k by 4:30 PM With the lights going to lunar by 9:30 PM. This was done because I read that 6500k is the best for growing corals, and about 20,000k is the best for color. So I'm hoping to get a good mix of growth and color. I placed the Sun coral down in between some rocks so it is in a shadier place with less flow. It is coming out and looking good!j
Old 11-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Great in terms if the sun coral. Make sure you are keeping it fed often. One piece of mysis, for example, per head will keep it alive. You don't want to foul up your water as parter issues will cause it's downfall.

As for the aiptasia, keep down the path that's working. Don't add livestock to address a problem as once it is gone you'll need to supply the food to keep it alive. Always a poor choice, even if you can take it back all that moving can be stressful and kill a fish...that and filefish are not reef safe.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting, question, questions, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com