Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bed for tank

I'm debating on getting crushed coral or live sand whats the benefits on getting them and the cons about them both or would mixing the two be good?!

Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony G View Post
I'm debating on getting crushed coral or live sand whats the benefits on getting them and the cons about them both or would mixing the two be good?!
From What I've heard most Live sand is a waste cause the bacteria that make it live have been in the bag and on the shelf so long it's prolly dead. That being said I got some for my reef when I set it up, Live Rock and my water from the lfs, had a mini cycle and was done. I'm 3.5 weeks in and have four corals, 6 hermits, and a Maroon clown. All alive and well. I can tell you that the LS I got has some crushed coral and sea shells in it as well. I don't think you can go wrong between the two, what are you gonna do with the tank?

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm going to make it in to a reef tank I have aren't gallon nano and just upgrading big right now!!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony G View Post
I'm going to make it in to a reef tank I have aren't gallon nano and just upgrading big right now!!
That's cool, apparently reefing on the small side is gaining in popularity, you just gotta be sure to be OCD about your water parameters. I try to check PH, KH, SG, and Nitrates every day. Everything in my tank is healthy and happy. Some say that bigger is easier, but I like the smaller tank, it keeps me involved and paying attention. I've got my tank in my office so I'm with it 8 hours a day. I'd like to believe the love helps too, but I'm not that naive...

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't need live sand to start but I would choose the granular size in the bed depending on the flow you expect to have in the tank. Higher the flow larger the granules and lower flow use finer sands. The rest is personal preference, you just don't want a sand storm in your tank 24/7 lol.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com