Been searching and I end up asking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The best setup for reef/fish protection

• Plenum Sump

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DSB in tank

• SSB

• Bare Bottom

• Total voters

SaltySteve

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm about to embark on a project that requires a fair bit of effort and I just want to know what the general census is!
Many thanks for contributing, please feel free to elaborate on your choice!
Steve

I went with about 3" in the tank. And wnt with a sump that is about 45% the size of my tank. About 35 gal sump with 5" of sand on a 75 gal tank. NO plenum. I was unsure about crashes. So I can remove the sump from the system and replace it if it becomes necessary.

i researched this very thing and went with kevin's opinion good arguments on both sides good luck :)

reefrunner69 said:
Neither, in my opinion, either a shallow sand bed or a bare bottom tank for me ;)
(y) (y)

SSB for all my tanks.

Cheers
Steve

This is good, lots of input. I bet it's probably safe to assume (due to the lack of votes) that many agree with SSB? My current setup is SSB (average thickness equals 1 inch of fine 2-3mm Aroganite. I have friend addicted to the Plenum setup so I just want to obtain as much info before I decide on building one.
Keep it coming :) 3

I like the 2-4" sand bed.. I don't consider 4" a DSB to me a DSB is 5"+. I run a Sump,skimmer and refugium on both my tanks with LR and LS.
You planing on using LR? This is the best way to go.... Good luck with the project, keep asking questions....

Yes I am "loving" the LR. My goal is to reach about 1.5# per gallon. I have just hooked up a surface skimmer running off an AQ200 with carbon as well as 2 power heads and a Seaclone 100 skimmer (when it arrives)
I do have an incredible urge to drill the tank and run a Plenum sump :wink: You know the hi-tec bug 8)

By SSB I meant not over 2", although my tanks are at 1-1½" depending on who's been moving stuff around.

Cheers
Steve

maybe you should change the poll to include ssb and bare bottom?

Can't, don't know how :)
I was just hoping guys would comment if it was other. So many people are researching this exact subject. It seems like there is no right or wrong or good and better its wahtever works for you as the hobbyist :D

Back
Top Bottom