begginer that needs lighting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bstrike

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:? im in the process of setting up a reef tank 125G, any recommendations on what type of lighting, and who i can trust not to rip me off? been to the LFS and numerous web sites. A wide wide range of information and productes, need something to grow clams and coral. tank is 125g 20 inches deep and 72 inches long.
anyone please please help.

First off...Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Lighitng could very well be the most exspensive part of setting up a reef tank. If you want to keep clams, I would suggest MH lighting with VHO or CF actinics. There are several options out there. Do you want a all-in-one fixture or are you planning on making your own? Check with Darin at www.capitvereefs.com He is a member and sponsor of this forum and has some of the best prices around.

Are you handy with DIY projects or do you want a full hood system? What is your budget.

How much work is involved in DYI, I dont know much about electricity. I have found the full lighting system for $500 on Ebay, which is the cheapest Ive seen. Could I save a great deal of money making the lighting? What extra parts, besides the ballasts and bulbs are involved?

I dont hink your going to get a 3mh set up with actinics for $500 bucks, The diy set ups are easy to do,

They are pretty basic but you need a canopy to mount them in. You just screw them to the canopy and connect 2 wires and your done.CoralVue makes a nice retro kit for under $200.

Otherwise you can check out the Hamilton hoods on my site. They are a complete turn key unit.

you'll also need a wet/dry big enough to filter your tank, a good skimmer, a couple power heads(2 maxi jet 1200), a good heater( i prefer won pro heat II), digital thermometer, testing kit, salt mix, and add your substrate and live rock of your choice. Those are the basics of what you will need to get started.

If you plan on using a sump, with LR nothing special would be needed for a sump. You don't need a wet/dry with LR and/or LS. Find a container that will fit under the tank and your ready.

You don't have to use a overflow/sump system but it will give you more water volume.

BTW, I like the Coralvue retro kits. I have one on my 75 gal. I have also bought from Darin too. Great place and good prices.

Back
Top Bottom