Beginer corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I finally setup my 25 reef and bought my first coral , a green mushroom. It's doing great and has already put out 3 new polyps. I was wondering what my next coral can be. I'm looking for a branching coral or one that can stand high flow. My total light output is 96 watts.

Kenya trees are almost too easy, mine has become a nuisance almost... I need to keep fragging it to keep it under control.

They are not bushy or banching but I would also suggest some zoanthids or palys.. nice color. Also pulsing xenias seem easy and are somewhat branching

Kenya trees are almost too easy, mine has become a nuisance almost... I need to keep fragging it to keep it under control.

They are not bushy or banching but I would also suggest some zoanthids or palys.. nice color. Also pulsing xenias seem easy and are somewhat branching

They are easy yes but they are still nice corals

True, I want to try some pulsing Xenias to add some movement to the tank. I've also been interested in colt coral though it might be the same thing as with the Kenya. I agree. That the Kenya is a very nice coral.

they are both really cheap corals. I picked up my kenya tree for $15 and my pulsing xenia for $10. Often you can find someone local just giving them away because they grow so fast as long as you live in a well populated area.

they are both really cheap corals. I picked up my kenya tree for $15 and my pulsing xenia for $10. Often you can find someone local just giving them away because they grow so fast as long as you live in a well populated area.

Nope, I think the the population here is 620. But I know a store that has a monthly sell on everything so I might have to go on a little shopping spree

Nope, I think the the population here is 620. But I know a store that has a monthly sell on everything so I might have to go on a little shopping spree

Ahh, very nice. I'm waiting to have my 40b running before my next shopping spree :)

Ahh, very nice. I'm waiting to have my 40b running before my next shopping spree :)

Cool, lat time I went shopping, they sold me 3 mushroom frags for 20$. Not bad consedring they were 10 a piece :p and shopping speed are fun. What are you planning with the 40b

Cool, lat time I went shopping, they sold me 3 mushroom frags for 20$. Not bad consedring they were 10 a piece :p and shopping speed are fun. What are you planning with the 40b

I am going to be doing a mixed reef. Mushrooms, zoas, acros, Duncans, montis, and gorgonians are the corals that I want in there for the most part.

I would add that justin is correct about how fast they grow. Here are 2 pics of my kenya tree taken a little over 1 month apart. You can use the shell it's anchored to as a reference for size.

75748-albums12608-picture59550.jpg

75748-albums12608-picture59549.jpg

Back
Top Bottom