Beginner Advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shamrock

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a few questions on initial tank setup. I have plans for a 55 gallon fish only saltwater tank. I need to know roughly how much sand to use and if live sand is necessary because I've heard people on both sides of live vs. play sand. Also how much live rock as I've been told 1.5 lbs per gallon but I could use less. Last but not least, what is best for lighting. With all of the above I also would love some direction on a website or sites that may have good deals on these. Thank you for any and all help.

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Sometimes people dont get a chance to answer right away. :)

I wouldnt waste my money on "live" sand in a bag, I went with pool filter sand from home depot. 50lbs for $5 I would suggest if you just want a regular sandbed depth to add about 60-7- lbs as a rough estimate.

The recommended rock is 1.5 to 2.0 lbs per gallon. But to save money you can buy mostly base rock and add just a few lbs of live rock whihc is very expensive.

here's a link for some base rock

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Rock

As far as lighitng, if you are certain you don't need corals or will want them, then any old light will do. The fish don't care in the least.

here is a link for a great online shop that carries like everything.

Aquarium Supplies, Aquarium Supply, Aquarium Equipment, AquaCave.com Offers, Discount Fish Tanks & Fish Tank Supplies for Saltwater, Marine, Coral Reef Guide, Freshwater Aquarium

I would think a double t5 should be plenty or even your stock lighting hood if you have one.

Thanks a lot for the help and sorry for the impatience. I've posted threads on other sites before without responses so just a little frustrated. So I guess I can skip the live sand which is good because its so expensive. I'm not trying to skimp by any means but it is a little ridiculous. Once again thank you for the help and I look forward to learning as much as I can from the members of this site as it seems very informative.

You actually picked the best site in my opinion. The people here arent at all snooty like on other sites and theres no judgements made by people, just advice and good advice at that. We have several reefers who have been doing this for decades. LOL

If you have any other questions please feel to post. Some days it's kinda slow around here and others you can't get a post done without someone beating you to it. hehe

Good luck though.
:)

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA. :welcome:

Also another problem is that you asked your question in the wrong forum. This is the member intro forum and not everyone comes to this forum. I`m moving this to the proper forum so you`ll get more answers. Moved to the SW getting started forum.

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Sometimes people dont get a chance to answer right away. :)

I wouldnt waste my money on "live" sand in a bag, I went with pool filter sand from home depot. 50lbs for $5 I would suggest if you just want a regular sandbed depth to add about 60-7- lbs as a rough estimate.

The recommended rock is 1.5 to 2.0 lbs per gallon. But to save money you can buy mostly base rock and add just a few lbs of live rock whihc is very expensive.

here's a link for some base rock

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Rock

As far as lighitng, if you are certain you don't need corals or will want them, then any old light will do. The fish don't care in the least.

here is a link for a great online shop that carries like everything.

Aquarium Supplies, Aquarium Supply, Aquarium Equipment, AquaCave.com Offers, Discount Fish Tanks & Fish Tank Supplies for Saltwater, Marine, Coral Reef Guide, Freshwater Aquarium

I would think a double t5 should be plenty or even your stock lighting hood if you have one.

Carey, for the sand, i can't seem to find the pool filter sand. I see the natural play sand.

50 lb. Play Sand-40100301 at The Home Depot

Any difference between pool filter sand and this play sand for aquarium purposes?

I didnt like the texture of the play sand myself. Do you have a pool supply place around? They sell the pool filter sand for like $7 for 50lbs. Leslie pool supply is a popular chain.

Most of my home depots didnt carry it either, I lucked out about an hour away from home in finding it.

I didnt like the texture of the play sand myself. Do you have a pool supply place around? They sell the pool filter sand for like $7 for 50lbs. Leslie pool supply is a popular chain.

Most of my home depots didnt carry it either, I lucked out about an hour away from home in finding it.

I will look around. Any chance the pool filter sand comes in white? :)

Silica free would be just as good. Mine must have been cause I did a silicate test and it came back at 0. but silcates will only encourage some algae growth if I'm not mistaken, it wont have any detrimental effect on your fish.

In addition, someone posted an article here not too long ago about the benefits to having silicate in your system. It's not all bad.

It is a pain to rinse it out though, I'll tell you that much. I had to rinse 250lbs of the stuff. LOL

I don't think so. I haven't experienced anything and I'm not really sure if I had silicate sand or not. The test was confusing and I may have screwed it up lol. It was so cheap though so I can't imagine it being silicate free entirely.

Thanks for your help Carey! I think i'm going to go with the silica PFS. Just gotta find it in white.

There are conflicting answers if silica sand is a bad thing, I have heard that they may release silicates which cause diatom outbreaks, but on the other hand your glass is made of silicates as is the silicon that holds it together. I think most people get into trouble when there is silicates in the water, If you us rodi filter for your water you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom