Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

2 and a half months!

My tanks been up for 2 and a half months now and it's coming along sweetly! I am filled with a bunch more knowledge and loving this process! I am currently saving up for a protein skimmer, some more liverock and a set of decent powerheads to get the water flowing nicely around the liverock also for all the other benefits they bring! I lost my porcupine puffer and coral beauty the other day My ammonia levels were stupidly high and then started turning to nitrites (due to my mum overfeeding them saying they looked hungry) but hey ho these things happen! For now I am sorting my water levels out and will wait a while and get my tank to how I would like it to look with inserts and that before adding anymore fish! I loved the porcupine puffer though! Was such a character! The only problem I am experiencing at the moment is green algae! I just can't seem to get rid off it!!! It's so frustrating but I understand that it will go as my tank matures more and my water levels experience less fluctuations! I currently have one fat green mandarin, my 2 clowns, a royal gramma, 2 cleaner shrimp and two little hermits! Here's some pics of my progress! Thank you guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1236036_10151814294094034_1533978129_n.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	199213   Click image for larger version

Name:	1240517_10151814295524034_1556279208_n.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	199214  

Old 09-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

Most of the problems you are experiences can be helped by getting a protein skimmer. I would make this a high priority! It will help remove proteins(lower ammonia) and then Algae will be easier to control. Live rock is also important! You have the right idea! Keep it moving in the right direction! Glad to help, this site has helped me with everything!

Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #43

Really am enjoying the whole experience of owning and maintaining the aquarium! Its just hard to find the money to buy all the essentials but when I have them I know it starts becoming a bit cheaper! My water levels are starting to settle down a bit now, bit low on the Ph and also the Mg but added a supplement to help sort that out! Trying to add a bit of liverock once a week when I pick up the water! I have had no problems with my mandarin yet! He's a chunk aswell Still got algae but I'm sort of getting used to it now and when I have the skimmer and everything else it should start dying out! This whole thing is just a massive learning curve but its awesome! Want a bigger tank now haha! Saw a juvenile clown trigger in my LFS earlier who was really placid and in a tank with some clowns and a bicolour goatfish and not sure what else but few other small fish and was not even bothering them! Shame he had already been sold he was amazing!!!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Your tank is doomed for failure. The tangs will not live long term. The mandarin will also slowly starve to death. My take is that you should listen to the posters here who are only trying to help.
you should listen to the posters. Putting a fish in the tank that is doomed from the start is cruel.

there are plenty fish out there that would be perfect for your tank.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:58 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzepher1 View Post
you should listen to the posters. Putting a fish in the tank that is doomed from the start is cruel.

there are plenty fish out there that would be perfect for your tank.
I haven't put a tang in the tank yet and my mandarin is eating well, the mandarin was a risk and not doomed! I have no tangs in my tank
Old 10-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You however put a porcupine pufferfish which gets over a foot in your tank. It also eats inverts... If you like a fish you see at the store go home and research it before you buy it, it will save you a ton of headache and money.
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
You however put a porcupine pufferfish which gets over a foot in your tank. It also eats inverts... If you like a fish you see at the store go home and research it before you buy it, it will save you a ton of headache and money.
A puffer in a 45g ?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post
A puffer in a 45g ?
He was a very small puffer and whilst he was in the tank he seemed very happy! Very strong eater and was very active, if I didn't leave my mum to feed the fish whilst I was away Im sure he would still be with me and by the time he got to half a foot I would of taken him back to the store on half credit but it would take a long period of time for him to grow to that size, wouldnt it not?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It would probably take him 8-9 months to outgrow that tank maybe less and in that time he would still have eaten both your cleaner shrimp and hermits. IMO when stocking use the fishes final size not the size it is in the store. It is not fair to the fish to buy it and say ill give it up once it outgrows my tank. Stick to fish that stay 4" or less and you will be good to go.
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
It would probably take him 8-9 months to outgrow that tank maybe less and in that time he would still have eaten both your cleaner shrimp and hermits. IMO when stocking use the fishes final size not the size it is in the store. It is not fair to the fish to buy it and say ill give it up once it outgrows my tank. Stick to fish that stay 4" or less and you will be good to go.
Thank you, I had him for a couple of weeks and he didn't bother my shrimps at all, he often went down to get a clean of them! But I understand it is unfair to have that thought in mind but people always change their livestock due to a number of reasons. I am looking at increasing my tank size when I find somewhere to put it, There's so many fish I want but just can't keep them. My puffer was only a tiny juvenile when I had him, such a cool fish he was aswell

Tags
beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com