Beginner aquarist!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am taking on board everybody's advise and have already begun to look for smaller tangs for the time being! I also understand that mandarins may or may not stick to frozen but have clarified that I am going to take the risk and hope the one I happen to buy will stick to frozen for me! If he doesn't I then have that problem to worry about! I am researching a lot about different things and I find these forums very useful! I will not be putting a brown tang in my tank now and instead will be putting a smaller tang such as the yellow eyed Kole tang. But the LFS I use is a family run business and the only non family member they have is a lad who works part-time and is studying marine biology in University so I consider these to be pretty reliable, if it were to be some of these people you find in stores such as pets at home, I would not be so trust-worthy towards there advise! If you think I'm making any typical "rookie" mistakes please make me aware of these and maybe suggest alternatives for me to look into! I am more than willing to look into any suggestions made as this is a key way to expand my knowledge and better my aquarium :)

Thanks again,

Caissss

Im offering this as constructive criticism, so please dont feel that im speaking of you on a personal level. The biggest rookie mistake you are making is that you are betting the health and well being of your tank on what-ifs and "i hope"s. dont ever buy things in the sw hobby in the HOPES that itll work/eat/ stay small/etc. only go with well educated decisions and information. As trustworthy and reliable as your lfs may seem, you have to remember that they are a business first. Sp they will tend to bend some rules and guidelines if it means selling something. ( its not a horrible thing, just the nature of business). Us salties here on AA only want to see your tank thrive and you smile... We dpnt need your money to pay bills, we dont need your business to stay open. So 9 times out of 10, the info here is more reliable.

Also id just like to say that i personally know that its extremely hard to accept that some fish are just too big, but each and everyone of us goes through it and as long as you stay on track, youll be happy in the end. (i wanted a blonde naso tang for my tank but he gets too big)

I have just read through all the posts and have realised how much of a moron I previously sounded! I am going to stop being so daft and agree that my tank is just to small for the tang and get a different fish! It just isn't worth putting in a fish that may get ill due to not being in a big enough tank! I do appreciate all the advise and I am going to listen to it, I know you are all just trying to help! Sorry again for just appearing to throw your advice back in your faces!

Thanks again for all the advice,

Caissss

It happens all the time, heck we all have been there. Its good to see that youre willing to take a step back and re-assess the situation. Please trust me when i say you dont want to have illness issues in a fully stocked sw tank... Its horrid

It is horrible not being able to stock what you want to stock :( I'm only 18 so in future years a bigger tank will definitely be on the cards! When I have my own place haha! What fish would you all recommend to stock in a 45gallon tank then? Take into account, I already have 2 percula clowns, coral beauty, royal gramma, a green mandarin and also 2 cleaner shrimp (planning on getting a few more of these)

It is horrible not being able to stock what you want to stock :( I'm only 18 so in future years a bigger tank will definitely be on the cards! When I have my own place haha! What fish would you all recommend to stock in a 45gallon tank then? Take into account, I already have 2 percula clowns, coral beauty, royal gramma, a green mandarin and also 2 cleaner shrimp (planning on getting a few more of these)

SW is all about patience .
Planning ,
And research
Plan what you want to stock ,
Research everything you want to stock
Then patience , take your time and let nature do what it does best ,
I have a orange shoulder and a kole tang in my 75 gal and realized after I bought it it will have to be moved or sold .
We all make mistakes !

Ahh devastating ey! At the moment I seem to be very limited to what I can stock, I thought my tank was of a decent size when I first brought it, but clearly not as I am so limited in what I can and can't have!

Ahh devastating ey! At the moment I seem to be very limited to what I can stock, I thought my tank was of a decent size when I first brought it, but clearly not as I am so limited in what I can and can't have!

I was always told the bigger it is it is easier to stabilize the parameters .
Everything fluctuates less .
Well it does but more volume makes it less noticeable .
I thought 75 gal was plenty big enough but all the fish I wanted either are too big and require 120 - 180 gal
Or they eat corals and would only be able to stock fish and live rock .
I'm planning on building a 125-180 within the next year but I will upgrade this one till then .

I keep looking at larger tanks but just know I can't afford or place them right now and it really is frustrating! I will just have to enjoy what I have for the time being. Goodluck with that project and keep me posted on progress!

There are so MANY amazing fish that will fit in your tank and live a happy life. Just look at some of them first. Here is my flame angel, she would be in that size. As for shrimp helping with parasites, it is like radiation for cancer....best not to get cancer to begin with.

Attachments

• image-1028559779.jpg
    image-1028559779.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 58
There are so MANY amazing fish that will fit in your tank and live a happy life. Just look at some of them first. Here is my flame angel, she would be in that size. As for shrimp helping with parasites, it is like radiation for cancer....best not to get cancer to begin with.
I already have a coral beauty, adding a flame would cause eruptions! That is beautiful though! I totally agree, I'd rather not have parasites at all

I can second that there are a ton of fish thatll fit comfortably in your tank. What you will have to watch for is overstocking. Unfortunately its not hard to overstock any sw tank, especially the smaller you go

How do you know when you've overstocked? Can somebody link me a website where information on types of fish that can be kept in my sized tank can be found please?

How do you know when you've overstocked? Can somebody link me a website where information on types of fish that can be kept in my sized tank can be found please?

Liveaquaria.com
It's amazing .
And as for overstocked ?
Depending on the fish and the bio load .
I have heard a rule of 1" of fish per 10 gal tank volume .
This might not be exact or accurate hopefully someone chimes in and corrects me .

Thank you for all your help again, I was told when you start overstocking your nitrites will rise, is this true? Also in the initial post I mentioned about my lighting, can anybody comment on this please as I have not heard whether how I have set it up is right or wrong!

-----------
Caissss

Thank you for all your help again, I was told when you start overstocking your nitrites will rise, is this true? Also in the initial post I mentioned about my lighting, can anybody comment on this please as I have not heard whether how I have set it up is right or wrong!

-----------
Caissss

Nitrites should be noticed after a ammonia spike .
The spike in ammonia will indicate too much of a bio load .
There isn't enough beneficial bacteria to transform into nitrates which are later removed by PWC

Id base your stocking level off of the trate levels, not the ammo or trites... Even when youre overstocked, your tank will convert everything to trates... So if you are noticing that you cant keep your trates low (0-20 in fowlr, 0-10 in reef) then you are prob overstocked or your filtration isnt running at maximum efficiency

Also please remember that stocking levels are not an exact science, they are established by the opinions of several experienced hobbyists that understand the needs and demands of each individual fish. That being said, two people could have the exact same volume of tank space, exact same 10 fish in it. Same size fish as well, but if one of those tanks has more efficient filtration, that tanks stocking level wont be as full as the others, thats why i try to stress to people that efficient filtration is vital to maximizing the use of all your water volume.

Also please remember that stocking levels are not an exact science, they are established by the opinions of several experienced hobbyists that understand the needs and demands of each individual fish. That being said, two people could have the exact same volume of tank space, exact same 10 fish in it. Same size fish as well, but if one of those tanks has more efficient filtration, that tanks stocking level wont be as full as the others, thats why i try to stress to people that efficient filtration is vital to maximizing the use of all your water volume.

I'm going to start a new thread named : filtration
I would like to hear more about this topic .

Back
Top Bottom