Beginner Corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeenReefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive been looking into getting either yellow polyps or colony polyps from petsolutions.com. I was wondering if these are pretty easy corals to keep and if anybody has any feed back on petsolutions, that would be great info also. Thanks.

be aware though, low light does not mean easy. There are alot of higher light corals that are easy too. Frogspawn, some leathers, brain corals,etc.

My 1st coral was a kenya tree, and when I got it, it was only like 2 in long and 1/2 diameter. Now its HUGE! I could probably barely be able to fit it in my fist LOL. And yes, zoos and shrooms are great beggining corals.

Thanks.. Going Thursday to pick out some stuff at the pet shop. :D Might get some shrooms and a small polyp colony, and maybe a coral banded shrimp. My other question is that i dont have and live rock in my aquarium, only about 35 lbs base rock. Is this ok for the polyps? Im going to look for a piece attached to a piece of LR though, that has some coraline algae on it though. I hope it works out! :jump:

Will post pics.

Hey Teenreefer, if you can pick up a copy of Eric Boreneman's coral book. Available from the library here too. I've found it very good reading for selecting corals.

If you pay attention to your tank like you should, it's harder to kill mushrooms and polyps than it is to keep them alive.

When I still had my RBTA it would move on top of colonies of starpolyp and sting them to near death then move right beside this one mushroom and sting it to death and it would go between the two over and over again.......this is what the star polyp looks like after getting stung for about two months

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=9449

Well looks like ill be getting my shrooms and polyps tomorrow if all goes well. :mrgreen: What are the best water parameter for corals and lighting conditions. My water is good according to the test, and salinity is just a little too high (1.028, will try and bing it down, got one of those cheap salt readers.) Will my 50/50 reef sun bulb be good enough? Thanks!

Got some brown polyps today, i think thats what there are since the guy at the shop didnt really know. $12 was a good deal, but there is only about 10 of the and some little unidentified coral. I ended up getting a firefish goby too, (Blaze). Hes pretty cool! :mrgreen:

Sounds like brown button polyps. Nice coral. Got a pic of them? And the unidentified coral?

Uploading a pic right now. Not the greatest because the digital camera i got is really cheap. :roll: Will try to get a better pic. though.

I'm sure they are button polyps but I don't see the second coral. As for spreading, yeah. If conditions are right they will multiply.

Back
Top Bottom