Beginner fish for a 45?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 45 gallon tank and have had some great suggestions on what to put in it, but I'm unsure as to whether I have the experience to maintain them. Until I do, what are some cool, interesting, beautiful, and/or unusual fish that I can keep. Other than the usual like clowns, darts, and damsels......sorry it's so specific and (probably) unusual....:)

don't add damsels. as a matter of fact, don't add any fish you don't absolutely love, because your tank and bio load are limited. what i would do is add the more peaceful fish first, and leave the possibly aggressive or territorial fish for last.

I don't plan to. What I meant to ask for is beginner fish that are coo interesting etc so that I could find some that I absolutely love. Sorry that my question was unclear :(

Do not go angels, damsels, tangs or triggers.

Go with a nice solar wrasse or another wrasse, royal gamma's are nice, and anthea as well (fun is you can do one anthea or a school of 3 or more), get some blennies, they are nice and have great personality.

Sunset Anthias
Evansi Anthias
Squareback Anthias
Orange Lyretail Anthias
Ignitus Anthias

Those are just some, there are so many different kinds. Check to see what your LFS has and see what they recommend in terms of the size of your tank.

There are sooooo many lol

Royal Grammas have always been one the first fish I put in all my tanks and they are pretty easy to keep fed and only really require a lot of rock work in your tank. Plus they have great colors:eek:

I know....,but they're so common. Everyone has one it seems, not unusual....

they are beautiful fish to watch, the way they wiggle when they swim is fun to watch. i can stare at mine all day if i had a chair infront of my aquarium

I'm not saying that they're not great and interesting fish, it's just that I already know about the more common fish and would like to know about some cool, easyish fish that are a little more unusual. ;) but I do like clowns too! Don't get me wrong

That's really cool! But it's a pistol shrimp so won't it break my glass, or kill my cleaner shrimp?

It might kill your cleaner if it's big enough. One of the reasons you see certain fish all the time is because they are the easier ones to do. The more unusual the fish, the more difficult they are to maintain usually. Take the mandarins for example, they are extremely colorful with psychedelic patterns but their requirements are very demanding.

I suppose that makes sense.....but do I have to worry about the pistol shrimp breaking the glass?

No the pistol doesn't have the capability to do that. Their sound cannon is used to stun prey, it's not very useful against inanimate objects.

Oh! Great then, I'll be sure to look out for one! Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom