beginner getting clownfish... Bubble tip Anemone, or corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenny_RS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I just started cycling my FOWLR aquarium a week ago. I don't plan on adding any corals or anemone's for at least 6 months after my cycle is complete, but I am having a hard time deciding.... I want to get an Ocellaris Clownfish, and was reading into getting a Bubble tip anemone, but I was wondering if it would be better to get corals instead, seeing as I am a beginner. But I don't know if corals are easier to keep, or if the clownfish would be okay living with corals and not an anemone? Or should I just wait until the time is right for me to add a Bubble Tip? So many decisions to make... anywho, if anyone has any suggestions on that I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks!

clownfish would be okay living with corals and not an anemone?

I have read they host some odd things, from corals to feather dusters to PHs. There is no guarantee that they will host at all. Clows will be ok without anything to host as well. I don't have any experience with anemone or corals. I am planning on a clown/anenmoe combo, in the future.

Its really a tossup for what they will host. Some love hosting to pumps (which is strange really).

Mine host to Xenia <----

thanks for the reply's. i guess i could just try my luck with bubble tip and see how that goes. thanks.

Mine is hosting on the xenias as well. Man this guy is so funny at night he will just stuck himself between the xenia stalks without any movement at all. :lol:

I would say it depends on how big your tank is and if you plan on doing a reef or not. You have to be careful of anemones wondering around and stinging corals. As a lot of people have said, they will host some weird things. My clowns were hosting my zoa's for a while and now they're hosting my alveopora. When I had a BTA in my tank the clowns wouldnt go near it. It depends on your tank size also if you are planning on making it a reef tank. If you have plenty of room for the anemone to roam, then it may not bother any of your corals. Its all up to you. They are really cool to watch either way! HTH

Wait for about 6-9 months before you add an anemone. LTA's are a good choice as well if you have good lighting. I like these guys b/c mine stays on the substrate while I can put coral on the rocks out of reach. (theoretically)

Well I am not in a rush to be adding anemones, but idealy I do not want to mix corals with anemones. I would most likely be getting only one anemone because i am not going to have a large tank for a while. but seeing as I am new to this i will probably stick with replicas of anemones until i feel i am ready to care for an anemone. but the info would help greatly.

Clownfish don't need anemones and host the oddest things.

I have a nice LTA sitting at the obttom of the tank, but my false perc is content hosting a live rock right now.

At least we are getting closer, before he was hosting a powerhead.

Jenny_RS said:
Well I am not in a rush to be adding anemones, but idealy I do not want to mix corals with anemones. I would most likely be getting only one anemone because i am not going to have a large tank for a while. but seeing as I am new to this i will probably stick with replicas of anemones until i feel i am ready to care for an anemone. but the info would help greatly.

Don't waste your money on those artificial anemones, if that is what you are considering. They are not for hosting, but for looks only. I'm 99.9% sure the clowns will have no interest what so ever...but I could be wrong. You are better off waiting, IMO.

When you are ready, liveaquaria.com has a good overview of anemones for you to peruse. :)

I think you are right about the percs not going near the replicas. one of my friends has percs and she says they never go near her replica lol i think what i am going to do instead is get a nicely shaped big piece of Live Rock and have that in the tank, and when i am ready i will get an anemone. I thought of that last night since i couldn't sleep, and i was looking at my tank and thought a nice big hunk of live rock would look good in there. and since things grow on it, maybe i will get lucky hehe

Back
Top Bottom