Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Live rock just means it has the bacteria to breakdown waste and complete the nitrogen cycle. So yes technically dry rock becomes live rock over time. I agree that adding a piece of live rock in to seed some critters is beneficial as well but you can run a tank off completely just dry rock.

But we digress and are here to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Curing live rock? I didn't even know it was sick! - Aquarium Advice

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #13
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefGuy77 View Post
I did not mistype my statement, dry rock does not become live rock without seeding it. There is not way to get the biodiversity on dry rock without seeding it with quality live rock. There is a lot more to live rock then coraline algae. If you want to use rock as a natural filtration, coraline algae on dry rock will do minimal for you. Also, dry rock that was once live rock will have dead organisms in the small cracks and crevices that you would never be able to fully clean out. This and coraline algae can seal the pores in the rock, reducing the biological filtration capacity.

Now with that said, back to mdub's questions, live rock is not necessarily required for a fish only tank, as long as you have some other filtration.

I strongly disagree I even seen cinder-blocks become live over time.
Dry rock will become live over time as the bb builds , seeding your rock will help encourage Coraline growth faster , the reason some use dry rock over live is to prevent any bad hitchhikers , dry rock will take longer to build bb but once you introduce fish inverts and coral things will change , yes live rock will cycle faster but dry rock will cycle it may take longer A nice size deli shrimp will help get you on the way , macro algae in the tank with dry rock can grow and start the life cycle of the rock , shrimps crabs , snails ect once they lay eggs help it along also , is one better than the other not really one just gives you a faster head start , in the end things will be the same,
this tank was all dry rock 6 months later it was flourishing with growth,

Before:
water was still murky when this pict was taken

After:

It's not what you start with it's how you introduce things to start that life cycle , I believe this rock became as live as it could be

I so wish I never broke down this tank It was one of my all time favorites
Old 11-05-2015, 10:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes...I also agree, dry rock will become live rock without any seeding what so ever, except for an ammonia source. All the "bio diversity" like algae, pods, starfish etc are unnecessary, unless you like that sort of thing. The above mentioned do nothing to make a tank better....though sometimes worse. Feed a little too much, or export too little, and introduced algae can quickly become a nuisance.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a 10 gallon tank with a 2 watt LED hood. There are 2 led lights in the hood and I'm not sure if the wattage means per light, or total, or if that even matters. So does anyone know what, if any, kinds of corals I could have with that?
Old 11-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Even at 2 watts per light it will not even be close to enough light for corals. Sorry. LED lights have come down pretty much in cost so you could get a good light for that tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Starting a bio cube 14 don't wanna use live rock any suggestions also with sea horses

Old 11-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Beginner marine tank questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield85 View Post
Starting a bio cube 14 don't wanna use live rock any suggestions also with sea horses

Start up your own thread. You're not going to get answers on someone else's.

Edit: I see you're new. There should be threads on how to start your own thread on the site.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub View Post
I have a 10 gallon tank with a 2 watt LED hood. There are 2 led lights in the hood and I'm not sure if the wattage means per light, or total, or if that even matters. So does anyone know what, if any, kinds of corals I could have with that?

It's more about par now days anyway, but the basic lights like that won't really support any coral. They simply can not supply the light needed. I have a Chinese black box over my 10g, there good lights an cheap for the market, 78$ to be exact.

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, marine, question, questions, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com