Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-09-2004, 09:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Beginner needs help

I am contemplating on purchasing a 150 gallon tank. It has been recommended to have use a sump system. Please let me know what an ideal set up for filtration would be sump or otherwise. Advice on brands and models for protein skimmers, filters, water movers etc. Want to start off with fish and LR but want to add coral later. Confused and overwhelmed with differing advice from books and people. I want to take steps to set up the tank properly to avoid problems later. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

kkyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
First off, Welcome to AA.
With a tank that large, the first thing I would suggest are built in overflow. Much easier to manage and hook up to a sump under in the cabinet.
Best filtration, hands down live rock...lots of it. For a 150, I would start with at least 150-200 lbs of live rock, depending on how dense the rock you choose it. The more the better. For rock I suggest these guys http://www.liverocks.com.
Along with a prefilter pad going into the sump, that would be all the filtration you would need, so long as you don't overstock it.
Many choices for a good skimmer, I use a HSA250 and it does a very nice job.
Here is some good info on skimmers
Maxijet 1200 PH's are excellent water movers and the main pump would be dependant on what type of overflow, sump size, return method, etc you would use.
Decide on the tank and sump set up and we'll help you from there.
Post some specific question, we are happy to help.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com