Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2003, 01:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to R4MZY
Beginner- needs HELP

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of changing my freshwater ten gallon to a saltwater. I know I know, you are probably going to tell me a ten gallon is too small, but I only wish to house a clown fish or two, and maybe some slim-bodied fish as well. Currently I have an aeration device, a real real nice filter, along with gravel and tons of aquarium decor, but it is oriented towards freshwater, like plants and there are some seashells in there too. Do I need to change the decor If I wish to change to saltwater? Also, do I need a protein skimmer? All the ones Ive seen so far are about 70 dollars, so could I get a smaller one since its only ten gallon? I also wanted to ask about cycling. My plan is to get a damsel or two and cycle the tank, but I don't know exactly how long I need to do this since its only ten gallons. Also, since I am housing clownfish, will I need anemones? And how much do they go for? I am on a tight budget and cannot spend more than 50 or so converting this aquarium, and if I convert it I want to do it right. What kind of extra steps will I need to follow to convert this aquarium? And about the fish I selected, that should be fine right? I would like to know what kind of fish are compatible with clowns.

Thats all I have to ask, hopefully one of you will have time to answer all my questions, I know its alot but Im just starting and need info. Thanks so much.

Old 07-31-2003, 02:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Ghettopunch187
Fishwise i would only recommend ONE clown fish. That is the max for your tank.

Old 07-31-2003, 02:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to otrovago
Fishless cycling only
I did the mistake thanks to LFS of cylcing with fihs and 1 of my 2 damsels died. Cycle with LR and LS only. Check out wetwebmedia.com they have really good articles for beginners like us...
Old 07-31-2003, 03:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to sokhamik
hey.. someone goes to that site, too.. that's cool.. that's one of my favorite sites to load up on resources... ten gallon, and a clownfish.. it may get a little big for the tank... on the calculator it says you can only have 2" of adult fish in there.. minus the sand and if you are putting rocks in there your ten gallon water shrinks a little.. i think you can house a couple small fish comfortably if you have a sump that adds on the the amount of gallon you have.. i have a ten gallon and i'm converting it into a species tank for a pair of harlequin shrimps that i will be aquiring in the near future...
Old 07-31-2003, 03:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to sokhamik
oops, i just read my post.. don't want to discourage you from going saltwater... hehe.. try to research and see what you can do with that size tank... a lot of research... i like researching... i think my life is boring if i don't learn a thing or two everyday on the internent about fish... hehe BORING LIFE, huh??... nah... all but boring for me... FUN!!!GOOD LUCK

Tags
beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com