Beginner questions!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

777hdh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
I set up an aquamax gfo reactor recently and we had to attach a more powerful pump to get the Phosphate Out media moving in the bottom. I wanted to know how everyone tumbles their media. Does it just need to barely move and bubble on the bottom or tumble fairly well? Another thing, my phosphates havent dropped below .03. I wanted to know if thats normal or should it be at 0.
Last thing, I have a 55 gallon tank with 9 fish: 4 chromis, a small blue/yellow damsel, coral beauty, a black clownfish, a bangaii cardinal and a diamond goby. They are all pretty small. How many fish could I put in this tank? I was told 12 but Im not sure. I would like to get a pajama cardinal, tomini tang and a two spot goby. Would a two spot goby and a diamond goby get along?
Sorry for all the questions. I have had my tank for only 9 months and wanted to find out everything.
Thanks

You want gfo to have a low boil type of tumble.
As for phosphate levels, .03 is a great place for them to be.
In terms of the amount of fish, I'd stick with what you have for awhile. Some of them can get aggressive if there isn't enough territory or places to hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the advice. Aside from the media instructions on how much to put in the reactor. My husband thinks it should be half full of media which I don't agree. How much media should be put in there? It's about a quarter full right now.
Thanks

GFO should be added gradually over time. This is due to even phosphate being 'bad' at times, crashing its levels can have negative effects on your system as well.
With that said, it depends on the quality of the GFO. Some of the high quality stuff recommends only teaspoons at a time.

Back
Top Bottom