Beginner questions regarding SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crono_vivi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I'm thinking about starting a SW tank. Here's my questions:

1. Do I need LR for a FO tank? I was thinking of using live sand along with different synthetic corals/base rock. I'm only going to have fish and maybe some crabs, but no corals.
2. Would a brown tang be able to go in a 40B?
3. What would be good filtration for a FO tank?

Thanks, I'm sure I'll think of more questions, lol.

1. No, you will need a filtration system then, but Live Rock is not a requirement.

2. Nope, minimum 80g

3. Can't help you on that, I use LR and LS with a skimmer.

In addition to bearfans comments here are my interjections.

1. Using synthetic corals if you wish to keep them looking good your going to have to regularly take them out and clean them up good with either water/bleach mixture or hot water and a good scrubbing. One benifit of going with live rock or even base rock and not trying to keep it bleach white is the fact you dont have to do weekly cleanings to keep them from getting coverend in algae.

2. I stole these dimentions from another website so if they are not correct dont shoot me. ;) 40 gal breeder is 36" X 18" X 17" The tank is only 3' long so there isnt enough swimming room for any tang to live comfortably. A 4' long tank is a minimum lenght IMO for any tank species.

3. You have already said you was doing with live sand so thats a benifit. If you add to that a quality skimmer and either a wet/dry filter or a canister style filter you will be fine. Remember to have good water flow in the tank. Even though its only a FO setup the fish will benifit from good water flow within the system.

Just getting your feet wet and not wanting to get discouraged, I would even suggest that you skip out on the live sand and crabs. You want to make it easy to medicate, and live sand eliminates many possible medications should something go wrong, as do any inverts.

For a starter tank, crushed coral substrate & synthetic coral decorations are fine. Most algae in a saltwater tank is a result of particulate filtration, so just don't use a filter pad and your synthetic corals will go a good month without needing cleaning. You can run a filter pad 1 day per week to keep a nice polished look. I would suggest a venture powered protein skimmer (SeaClone makes a nice easy to use well priced model) and a Penguin BioWheel.

Just keep a weekly test on the Nitrates and change water frequently enough to keep them below 40 - 60 ppm. I would guess a 10 gallon monthly water change would be sufficient, depending on stocking levels and fish size.

Most important for a beginner tank, be very very careful about what fish you purchase. Make sure they are eating well, have clear eyes, & are swimming normally in the display tank. Take them home quickly & feed the same foods they are eating at the pet shop while you acclimate them to their new home.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom