Beginner rock/corals and fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would put live rock for sure. It's better for filtration and provides plenty of grazing grounds for your CUC. Mushrooms and pipe organs are both great beginner corals. Colt corals are good for beginners also. As far as fish, if you're looking for something cheap, get two or three chromis. They are great beginners. Stay away from damsels.

I'm trying to learn everything I can.. Honestly I don't know where to start. Lol. Do you recommend sand for the bottom? What pumps and filters are best?

I would go with sand. If you plan on getting a protein skimmer, which I recommend, no external filter is needed. I actually have both. I have two bio-wheel 280 filters and a 105g skimmer on my 90 gallon. Koralia makes really good power heads. Try to move 30-50% of tank volume. I'm moving 2850 gph in my tank. Also, do plenty of research on lights. Get lights that will work best for the tank you want and the corals you want to keep. Anemones need really strong lighting so go big if you plan on getting one in the future.

It's not necessary. As another poster said, 99% of us use live rock for biological filtration and a place for fish to hide. You can also use some live rock and some base rock and the base rock will eventually become live. And corals only need to be added if you want corals. They are just another animal. It's your preference if you want them or not. Keeping a reef tank with corals is more difficult and slightly more expensive then having a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) tank.

If you have artificial rock what kind of filter do you like?

I have all live rock and I still use filters. I have 120 pounds live rock for biological filtration, 2 empower bio wheel 280 external filters, and a Coralife 125g protein skimmer.

Ok. As far as fish, what are your feelings on butterflies? I've read that they can damage live rock?

I don't know much about butterflies. There aren't reef safe so if you get one, you can't really keep corals. Some of them are supposedly safe to keep but with caution. Butterflies also need at least a 75 gallon tank. They get fairly big. I don't know if they will mess with your rock or not. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Back
Top Bottom