Beginner Saltwater Fishtank Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abigail

Aquarium Advice Regular
So does anyone have any suggestions for beginner saltwater fish tanks? Or where I can find "recipes"?

Research and find out what fish you would like to keep and see if they are compatible then see if you have a place to put that size of tank. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15This is a good site to look at fish and what they need The bigger the tank the easier and more stable

For a first tank the larger the better more room for error. Only bad things happen fast in saltwater aquariums. This is a guide to cycling The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The list of equipment will vary in the type but be similar like the light you will want at least 4 T5 bulbs if you want a reef only tank and you can get by with 2 T6 bulbs on a fish only tank. The care if very similar.

This is a guide to things you might find in your tank Live Rock Hitch Hikers some people freak about the smallest things and I say stay with freshwater until you are comfortable putting your hand in a tank of the unknown.

There is 2 things that I find very important a refractometer and a test kit.

Go big, slow and research is the 3 things that need to be done to have a beautiful tank.

What brand and model refractometer would you suggest? I did pick up the API master test kit for salt water. I have read posts by many that they use it.

At what gallon size tank is a skimmer a must? Also what skimmer would you suggest for a 50-60 gallon tank with a 20 gal sump? The LFS does not have much variety, so I will be buying online.

Thanks for all your suggestions. :)
Currently looking into freshwater tanks.

Back
Top Bottom